3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
For the connecting rods I would make the OD a finger tight press fit with a couple thousandths clearance around the pins. I would make the main rod the same on the OD with a little less clearance around the pin. I have "fixed" clanking rods with Delrin AF. I had a client with an engine that always developed a clank. Replace the connecting rod bearings with new brasses and after a while it would go to clanking again. The quartering was slightly off. I replaced the brasses with Delrin AF. It never clanked again and the bearings are fine after many years. Now if an engine has really bad quartering all bets are off. Nothing will fix that but re quartering.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Haven't worked on the Hudson for a while. I have been in the wood shop making cabinets for the future wax and mold room. There will be pictures of the wax room soon. The wood shop is unheated, today was too cold so I played in the model shop where it's nice and warm. The jointed steam lines to and from the booster were worked on today. Actually the masters. The top photo shows one of the straight ball joints. The toothed collar will be parted off and soft soldered on. The second photo shows our little Mercury capsule which will receive the ball. A 90 degree ball, and the triangular rings with the small black Delrin ring which will hold the ball in. Everything will loosely hang on the Delrin rings. Then we have the holders that will be part of the piping that bolts to the cylinder head. They are having a recess cut for 5/16" tubing. Last we have a straight ball holder, and an angled ball. There are multiples of these on a booster. I'm not happy with the radius on the backside of the gray angle ball. The toothed ring and the ball are just held in with a dab of crazy glue for now. I will pop them off and massage the fitting. It was fun to stick this together. Sometimes I tend to get in a hurry, and forget to just step back and have a look.
Having too much fun here.
Jack
Attachments
Pipe 25.jpeg
Pipe26.jpeg
Pipe 27.jpeg
Pipe28.jpeg
Pipe29.jpeg
Pipe30.jpeg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

What sort of grey goop is used to form the exterior of the elbow.

A wax and mold room, sounds most interesting!

Robert
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The gray material is sandable primer.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit concerning the long piping that connects to the cylinder head. The second photo shows a radius gauge that was made up. I looked into buying a set but they are expensive so I just made some up using and end mill. Some 3 corner bolt flanges were made up using the rotary table and small disc sander. These flanges are extra thick as they will receive some barrels for the #0-80 bolts.
Attachments
Pipe31.jpeg
Pipe32.jpeg
Pipe33.jpeg
Pipe34.jpeg
Pipe35.jpeg
Pipe36t.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now we can start mocking things up. The brass tubing is 5/16". There are still some gussets to be added, along with a little filler. Some sanding and shaping, and probably more filler. Then some molds. This will add some cool clutter under the cab. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Pipe37.jpeg
Pipe38.jpeg
Pipe39.jpeg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Jack,

You have an amazing ability to see a finished part inside a solid block of metal.

I would never have thought of making the flange out of bar stock, drilling the center hole and the three clamping holes and then sanding the round part to triangular.

It's like the quote that (incorrect) legend attributes to Michelangelo when asked how he sculpted the statue of David:
"You Just Chip Away Everything That Doesn’t Look Like David"

Steve
NP317

Post by NP317 »

When someone asks me what my retirement work is I tell them:
"Sculptor" and show them one of my locomotives.

So with Jack and many others here.
Russ
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do you honestly think that term does it justice?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Once again thank you very much Steve, Russ, and Bill for your compliments. I really appreciate them. This piping assembly for the booster steam lines is definitely one of them "delightful little puzzles " that I like to ramble on about. I thought about the triangular flange with its elbow and barrels for mounting bolts for a while before actually starting to make it. Like mentioned earlier, I tried to break it down into simple shapes that I can make. Sometimes when dealing with something more complicated, I will make some scribbles to help me think. It also makes a big difference if I am making an actual part, or a master to pull a mold from. The master can be putty, wood, plastic, bubble gum, etc. Back to our little part now. The bolt flange needs some filling. First a spray of self etching primer, and then some sandable primer from a spray can was used to add fillets and webs here and there. Some with the toothpick routine, and some sprayed right from the can. Some primer is squirted into a bottle cap and drops are placed with a pointed piece of wood. Capilary action is your friend. Sometimes a tooth pick is used. I have even made a sophisticated special tool for this. A bottle cap glued at a 45 degree angle to piece of wood. I often yack about using what was just laying around. Well, in this case nothing was laying around that would work. I needed some thin plastic sheet to form the gussets for this part. McMaster catalog, 1/32" PVC Ahh perfect. It should arrive today. I will make the gussets and stick them on with epoxy. Then some more sandable primer and Bob's yer' uncle. Thanks again for the compliments and happy model building.
Jack
Attachments
Pipe40.jpeg
Pipe41.jpeg
Pipe42.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I haven't spent much time on the booster steam piping as I have been busy with other things. I did manage to get the big ball joint ends stuck on and things smoothed out and ready for the gussets and ribs. This entailed more epoxy, sandable primer, and sanding. So here we have the long piping that connects to the cylinder head. The gussets will be cut from 1/32" PVC and epoxied in place. More primer and more sanding, then they will be finished and ready for mold making. The piping was much simpler than the booster main body and went together a lot quicker. Next up will be the stoker engine. I have made these in 1-1/2"scale and they are very simple compared to the trailing truck booster. Then probably on to an ultra cool little trinket, the Coffin centrifugal pump. This was not as common as the Worthington system with its centrifugal cold water pump, and separate hot water pump. This used a low pressure centrifugal pump to lift the water to the feed water heater, and then a high pressure piston pump, to force the water into the boiler. The Coffin system had only the high pressure centrifugal pump. This will be a non functional pump, just for looks to provide some locomotive clutter.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Pipe43.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is some progress on the booster piping. The long pipes that connect to the cylinder head are mostly finished except for some gussets. These gussets were made from 1/32" PVC sheet. This was mainly just a cut and fit operation. A small drum sander in the drill press, some sand paper, and small files were used to make these. Then they were stuck on using fast setting super glue. Some fillets were then added using the sandable primer and a toothpick routine, dabbing it here and there. Capilary action is your friend. I will let this dry for a day or so and then sand carefully. The entire part will then get sprayed with primer. A heavy wet coat should do the trick and the parts will be finished and ready for mold making. These were fairly simple parts. Make shapes and stick them together. Silver solder, soft solder, epoxy, super glue and primer were used as these are just masters and don't really need any strength. Now on to the stoker engine. Too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Pipe44.jpeg
Pipe45.jpeg
Pipe46.jpeg
Pipe47.jpeg
Pipe48.jpeg