3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Looking great 8) . But so sad this item will be placed at one of both the darkest and dirtyest places of your locomotive :( . Almost not anybody will even detect this jewelry, once it`s mounted under the cab - same as with the stoker engine!
Anyway, we who watch permanently your topic 3/4" Scale J1e are informed, thanks for posting!

Best regards Wulf-Dieter
rmac

Post by rmac »

Asteamhead wrote: Anyway, we who watch permanently your topic 3/4" Scale J1e are informed
And amazed.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Wulf, and rmac. I'm having fun making little baloney. Some of this is visible, mainly the back end. But like I said I'm just having a good time, and sometimes I like to stand back and see who notices.
Jack
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"...sometimes I like to stand back and see who notices."

:shock: :shock: :shock:
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:mrgreen:

We all notice...and are generally speechless.

I cannot believe that anything would actually take one of these masterpieces out on the track ..then spend 6 months cleaning it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you all once again for your much appreciated compliments. Now I know that just about anyone appreciates a good model. Even small children know the difference. When I said "stand back and see who notices", what I meant to say is that there are certain things only a model builder will notice. Usually small little details. Things like union ells, tiny castellated nuts and cotter pins, etc. Things you can't buy. I also love to stand back and watch the expressions on people faces. Good work often evokes emotion. It might be a painting, a sculpture, even a bird house. Seeing a big smile on someone's face just makes my day.

As to not running my engine because it's a detailed model, and might get dirty... I can't imagine NOT running it :D . So what if it gets a little grimy. As I have said before, "Engines photograph better if they are sporting a bit of grime". This will not be a shiny engine. It will be painted satin black. I am currently trying out every can of satin black I can lay my hands on to find just the right one. Thanks again for everyone's kind words, that really means a lot to me.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:08 pm Hello My Friends
Thank you all once again for your much appreciated compliments. Now I know that just about anyone appreciates a good model. Even small children know the difference. When I said "stand back and see who notices", what I meant to say is that there are certain things only a model builder will notice. Usually small little details. Things like union ells, tiny castellated nuts and cotter pins, etc. Things you can't buy. I also love to stand back and watch the expressions on people faces. Good work often evokes emotion. It might be a painting, a sculpture, even a bird house. Seeing a big smile on someone's face just makes my day.

As to not running my engine because it's a detailed model, and might get dirty... I can't imagine NOT running it :D . So what if it gets a little grimy. As I have said before, "Engines photograph better if they are sporting a bit of grime". This will not be a shiny engine. It will be painted satin black. I am currently trying out every can of satin black I can lay my hands on to find just the right one. Thanks again for everyone's kind words, that really means a lot to me.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack

couldn't of said it better jack. i know my dad uses just regular krylon satin black at least for the boiler jacket, cab and tender. mostly the can version with a brush. then the smokebox we use a very high temperature automotive black thats good up to 2000 degrees. i don't know the name of it off the top of my head but it has a picture of a 1930's automobile on it. but it works really well.
Andy R

black on 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Andy R »

"...currently trying out every can of satin black I can lay my hands on to find just the right one."
HA! Wait until Jim Kreider's Berkshire is shown publicly. It has lots of those varieties of black, and Jack will use lots of those on his J1e to allow visual contrast. As others have said, Black is not black and Jack knows a lot more than I do about placing those differences to allow the eye candy to be noticed.
Yes, Jack, we notice. As always, looking forward to the next delightful detail.
Regards,
Andy
JBodenmann

Little Baloney

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First I must thank Andy and Dan for their compliments and contributions to this thread. Black paint can vary wildly, from almost dark grey, to jet black. The gloss will vary, and we can use that for accenting certain parts. But I haven't gotten to that point yet with the Hudson. Still making little baloney. The smoke box on a J1e was a pretty busy place as you can see in this photo. Coming over the top just behind the stack is the right side blower pipe. This supplied super heated steam. This was an important feature, as when the throttle was closed, this kept some steam passing through the superheaters. This helped to prevent burnt out superheater tubes. Just above the handrail this pipe has a globe valve with a rod going back to the cab. It also has a U joint. This set up is duplicated on the fireman's side. In front of the sand dome popping out the top of the boiler is another steam pipe. This pipe curves down the side of the boiler and then turns forward under the running board and to the compressors. The horizontal pipe just above the running board is a condensate pipe. The blower pipes on 5344 will be functional as will the control rods to the cab. The blower and condensate piping is all 5/32". Here are a few snappies. The condensate line is made up. I had to make some union ells. On the full size 5344 this its a very prominent part and it had an octagon union ell. Just like we have here. Then the condensate line travels down the running board secured by a pipe clamp, and then disappears under the running board. I will have the little pipe clamps for sale soon. 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 1/4",5/16", and 3/8".
Attachments
Photo.jpeg
Blower1.jpeg
Blower2.jpeg
Blower3.jpeg
Blower4.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

The blower piping has been started on. The Barco engine house blower connections were made some time ago. There are two, one on the engineers side and one on the fireman's side. The full size valves had a check valve built into them. When you switched over from engine house steam to the locomotives steam, you could unfasten the engine house steam line with out steam shooting out of the engine house blower connection. That's how my #9 was set up. This engine house blower connection was just too small for a built in check. The blower piping has some valves with rods going back to the cab. One on each side of the engine. I am working on some 5/32" globe valves with a proper bonnet and stem. They are fiddley little rascals. I am just making then from bar stock but in future they will be investment castings. I already have some tiny little valve handles. 5/32" piping is a very handy size in 3/4" scale. See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Blower5.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Re: Little Baloney

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:56 pm Hello My Friends
First I must thank Andy and Dan for their compliments and contributions to this thread. Black paint can vary wildly, from almost dark grey, to jet black. The gloss will vary, and we can use that for accenting certain parts. But I haven't gotten to that point yet with the Hudson. Still making little baloney. The smoke box on a J1e was a pretty busy place as you can see in this photo. Coming over the top just behind the stack is the right side blower pipe. This supplied super heated steam. This was an important feature, as when the throttle was closed, this kept some steam passing through the superheaters. This helped to prevent burnt out superheater tubes. Just above the handrail this pipe has a globe valve with a rod going back to the cab. It also has a U joint. This set up is duplicated on the fireman's side. In front of the sand dome popping out the top of the boiler is another steam pipe. This pipe curves down the side of the boiler and then turns forward under the running board and to the compressors. The horizontal pipe just above the running board is a condensate pipe. The blower pipes on 5344 will be functional as will the control rods to the cab. The blower and condensate piping is all 5/32". Here are a few snappies. The condensate line is made up. I had to make some union ells. On the full size 5344 this its a very prominent part and it had an octagon union ell. Just like we have here. Then the condensate line travels down the running board secured by a pipe clamp, and then disappears under the running board. I will have the little pipe clamps for sale soon. 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", 1/4",5/16", and 3/8".
hi jack, i finally found that paint we use. it's Bill Hirsch Space Age Black. good up to 1600 degrees. dad put that on the smokebox of our 5344 nearly 3 or 4 years ago and it's been working great ever since. highly recommend it. when you get a chance can you send me a copy of that full size B&W photo you put up. im curious if thats the real 5344 or just another J1 series hudson. our smokebox originally i think was just satin black but not high temp and over the course of 25 years it would peel off or flake off whether under steam or cold. someone recommended hirsch high temp to us a fews years ago and we've been using it ever since and it does not peel or flake off and now that it's worn in and baked on some. it now really matches the satin on the boiler jacket quite well.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
IMG_0311.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Dan for the info on the hi temp black. I'll have to see about getting some. Here is something new for the Hudson. Some valves for 5/32" tube. I already had the handle castings. The rest was bar stock. Now that I have a workable design, I will make a master and then some castings. I have four of them so far. Three will be used for the blower piping on the smoke box. Isn't it funny how a #0-80 model nut can just look huge. I think the others will have a #00-90 nut. Not the big clunky #0-80 nut like we have here. :wink: Too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Globe.jpeg