3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveM

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by SteveM »

JBodenmann wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:29 am Totally unnecessary on a model. But then, the entire model is unnecessary.
I'm going to post that on the wall in my shop.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Modeling is a necessary sanity maintenance activity.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 pm Modeling is a necessary sanity maintenance activity.

^ ^ ^ :!:
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Great points about model building, or building anything "Just For Fun". I have had friends say, "Jack you should take a vacation, go on a trip, have some fun". Sometimes I do. But for the most part, I am doing precisely what I want to do. Which is hang out in my shop and make things. I have the shops I always dreamed of having. I say shops as I have two. One is the model shop, or machine shop if you like. The other is the wood shop. Come to think of it, I sort of have three shops, as I now have a room in the house for molds and waxes. It can be discouraging when you are starting out. You want to do something, but you come up against brick walls. I want to do such and such, but need to buy a doobis. This doobis might cost $15.00 or $1500.00. So you buy it or save for a while. This goes on and on. Eventually one day you look around and you have everything you need. And if you are persistent, and industrious, you have greatly sharpened your skills along the way. You have arrived :D Let's make stuff!
Ok, now I'll shut up.
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:46 pm ....
It can be discouraging when you are starting out. You want to do something, but you come up against brick walls. I want to do such and such, but need to buy a doobis. This doobis might cost $15.00 or $1500.00. So you buy it or save for a while. This goes on and on. ....

How true. You could make the doobis, but in order to do so, you need a gizmo. But in order to make the gizmo, you need....

One of the things a builder gains with experience is how to get it done without the doobis. And that's part of the fun; figuring out how to make things with the resources on hand.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then once you have all of those widgets ..is discovering where the Venutians put it after their last off-site inspection
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 pm Then once you have all of those widgets ..is discovering where the Venutians put it after their last off-site inspection

I've got fixtures in a drawer under the lathe that I remember making but don't remember what they are for.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have resorted to tagging, boxing and recently taking photos of them being used.

Recently -> a bunch of empty pill bottles and Plano boxes are being used.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:16 pm ... .a bunch of empty pill bottles....

Ah, yes. You get to a certain age and you are going to be taking pills, regardless of the state of your health. Pills to deal with what's wrong, pills to keep things from going wrong, and pills to counter the side effects of the other pills.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As a long time resident of Delaware, easy to quote DuPont

..."Better living through chemistry"

At worst case...has given me a good way to organize my O-rings ..

As long as I remember to put the caps back on the correct bottles
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I use a lot of those plastic peanut butter bottles/jars for storage of all kinds. They come in various sizes, and they're tough and oil resistant, making them a real nice storage container that allows one to see the contents, all the while keeping them clean and free from any potential rust.

It's really a good idea to mark a fixture so you know what it's for when you bump in to it in the future. Something as simple as a magic marker or even a vibrating pencil works just fine. If you prefer to guild the lily, permanent stamping is nice, too. If you're anything like I am, when I'm finished with a project I don't really remember the fine details, so I may or may not even know I have a fixture for a given purpose. I used to do that when I built tooling for customers, which often required a special jig or fixture to complete the tool in question.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

Having the Doobis...I pretty much have the shop of my dreams now. However I'm missing one thing, the time to use the dobbis'.