3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JHannah

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JHannah »

Incredible detail.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you very much for your most generous compliments.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Managed to get a bit done on the running board, air reservoir, power reverse, piping brackets, and distributing valve mount. There is quite a bit going on here. As usual a card stock pattern was made and held up against the boiler jacket to have a look. The main thing is that the power reverse needed to line up with the Baker valve gear. Once that was checked the pattern was transferred to some 1/16" brass sheet. After the sheet was cut out it was massaged with a rubber mallet on a large bit of round stock. The brass was set on the round stock and the rubber mallet was smacked with a four pound sledge until the curve was just right. The last snappy for now shows most of the bits mocked up and stuck together with some masking tape. As the parts were made they were held against the boiler jacket and checked for fit and alignment. This is to determine what is, as apposed to what should be. What should be should always be considered, but is never as important as what is. Having fun here.
Jack
Attachments
Mount1.jpg
Mount2.jpg
Mount3.jpg
Mount4.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Always nice to see a few more Jack shop secrets revealed.

Is there going to be a Valve Pilot cam box appearing under the running board on this Hudson?

Robert
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
To answer Roberts question, #5344 did not have a valve pilot as built. I will be building the engine as built with slight weathering (not shiny). Although the drawings I have show a mount for the valve pilot. They are a cool little detail but I won't be including that on the engine.
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

What's a valve pilot?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for asking that, Greg.
I too wish to know.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a link to an explanation of the valve pilot.
Jack
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... 10,4328201
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

So the valve pilot was an engineer nanny....
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:48 am So the valve pilot was an engineer nanny....
No..it was an engineer spy. It was used so the Road Foreman could check on the engineer’s use of cut off so they could yell at him for wasting coal.
While a different form...today they have “event recorders.” And for the same purpose...to spy on what the engineer did train handling wise so they could blame him for anything that went wrong.

Keith (retired Lehigh Valley RR engineer)
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I'll bet the BLE members loved that!

I am reminded of a memoir written by an engineer on the SP who worked there in the 1960s when the president brought in a bunch of trainmasters who were Stanford grads and had no rr experience. There was lot of resentment in the ranks, and the trainmasters were being unreasonable in enforcing the rules.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The valve pilot was rather maintenance intensive which caused the SP to begin removing them about 1950. By late 1952 and early 1953, they were a fading memory. Just a change in driver diameter of 1/2 inch was cause for a change in the cam inside the cam box. With driver diameters on different classes of locomotives, 69 inch for cab forwards, 73 inch for Mountain and some GS class locomotives, and 80 inches for the bigger GS class locomotives, the investment in cams alone was significant. Then the time to change them out was also needed.

When first introduced to the railroads, the engineers were very suspicious of them as it was something new and different. Almost like when they were given an injector when before all they had was a crosshead feedwater pump. Problem was, management knew that some engineers did not know /grasp the concept of using steam expansively and hoped the new technology would encourage fuel savings.