3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Greg_Lewis »

For those of you who don't fancy making your own half-round, jewelry suppliers have it in sizes down to 21 gauge.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JD Johnson

Post by JD Johnson »

Jack, your work is incredible. Great job. I have been building a 1/8th scale long gone RR Depot to go with my mogul. Go to a face book page called live steam cars and structures to check it out. I am inspired by you to make things like a 1908 Western Electric hand crank telephone. Keep up the great work.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends.
Thank you Russ, Dan, and Jd. Here are a couple snappies of the Barco low water alarm. More of that cool clutter that makes modern steam so interesting.
Barco200.jpeg
Barco201.jpeg

And here are the last photos of the cab for a while. This cab baloney has gone on long enough. The cab is basically finished now, except for the tongue and groove siding on the inside. But that will have to wait awhile. The grab irons and the rain gutters are finished.
Cab300.jpeg
Cab301.jpeg
Once again, I particularly like this view through the window with a look at the Standard fire door and the grapevine throttle lever hanging down. I'm currently putting together the stoker engine and it should be fitted up here soon. The big steam piping to and from the trailing truck booster will also get some attention.
Cab302.jpeg
No shortage of things to do!
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Just one snappie today. The stoker engine is going together. When dealing with 1-1/2" scale stoker engines I will usually hide an injector inside. The stoker engines had a exhaust steam pipe that ran forward. Sometimes it joined the exhaust pipe from the feed water centrifugal pump. It then ran forward to the smoke box. I think there is enough room to do this with the 3/4" scale booster and one of Anthony's small scale injectors. We shall see...
Jack
Stoker1.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Isn't there a problem with the injectors overheating inside of an enclosure?

I have had problems with injectors not working because of hot feed water...so I am gun shy...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:20 pm Hello My Friends.
Thank you Russ, Dan, and Jd. Here are a couple snappies of the Barco low water alarm. More of that cool clutter that makes modern steam so interesting.
Barco200.jpeg
Barco201.jpeg
And here are the last photos of the cab for a while. This cab baloney has gone on long enough. The cab is basically finished now, except for the tongue and groove siding on the inside. But that will have to wait awhile. The grab irons and the rain gutters are finished.
Cab300.jpeg
Cab301.jpeg
Once again, I particularly like this view through the window with a look at the Standard fire door and the grapevine throttle lever hanging down. I'm currently putting together the stoker engine and it should be fitted up here soon. The big steam piping to and from the trailing truck booster will also get some attention.
Cab302.jpeg
No shortage of things to do!
Jack
a 3/4 scale barco low water alarm. wow jack, words just cannot describe that. first i have ever seen in that scale. just absolute wow. :D :D
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Well thank you very much Dan. A New York Central Hudson should have a low water alarm. Even a tiny one. Here is a bit more concerning the booster engine. As mentioned earlier I like to hide an injector inside the stoker engine. I have done this on several 1-1/2" scale locomotives so I thought I would have try here and it seems to have worked out pretty good. Here we have a stoker engine body with an elbow soldered in. This will be the water supply for the injector.
Stoker40.jpeg
Here we have the injector stuffed in. It just fit, not much room to spare. There is room for a 3/8" wrench to tighten the union nut.
Stoker41.jpeg
Here is the stoker with the top cover on. The pipe out the top is the steam supply to the injector. .
Stoker42.jpeg
Here is the whole mess upside down. The 5/32" pipe on the right is the water supply. Then the overflow, the hex plug to access the cones for cleaning, and then out the left is the delivery pipe. This will represent the lower steam pipe to the reversing valve. There is also an upper steam pipe to the reversing valve. This reversing valve switched the inlet and exhaust ports, to reverse the engine to clear an ubstruction if the coal auger jammed.
Stoker43.jpeg
Here are a couple shots of the stoker engine in its natural habitat.
Stoker44.jpeg
Stoker45.jpeg
Happy Model Building
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I just noticed Bill's question. I have not had problems with injectors getting hot when placed in booster engines. This has been with 1-1/2" scale engines. I guess we'll find out if this will work on 3/4" scale locomotives. The only times I recall having problems with hot injectors is due to a leaky check valve.
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle .

Can bore you to tears with stories about trying to get British injectors to work with 100F tender water -> and eventually learning to fill the tender with crushed ice before topping off with water -> just to get the injectors to run.

Such are the challenges of running live steam in the Saudi desert in the 1970s.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The Hudsons had running board supports that also held piping. There were six of these supports that were castings. The forward four also held the air reservoirs. One on the engineers side also held the Franklin precision power reverse, and the Westinghouse distributing valve. The rear two, one on each side of the engine, supported the running boards, and the large steam piping to and from the booster engine. The left side support also held the stoker exhaust pipe running forward. As usual I started with a card stock mock up to test the fit. Here is a photo it along with the start of some of the pipe clamps.
RnBdSpt1.jpeg
RnBdSpt2.jpeg
Here are the pipe clamp halves along with a start on the main part of the casting. The oval shaped bit will be the bottom mounting bolt slot.
RnBdSpt3.jpeg
Here some of the parts are being prepared for silver soldering. Sub assemblies will be made this way and then soft soldered together.
RnBdSpt4.jpeg
The top of the supports had provisions for more piping and here is a start on the pipe clamps.
RnBdSpt5.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here you can see how things will fit together.
RnBdSpt6.jpeg
Pipe clamp castings will be used where possible.
RnBdSpt8.jpeg
Here is where the supports will go on the engine. The large upper pipe recess is for the steam pipe to the booster engine, and the lower smaller one is for the stoker exhaust pipe. This lower pipe will actually be the injector delivery pipe. This is the injector hidden in the booster engine.
More to come
Jack
RnBdSpt9.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is the completed running board-pipe support. Its been soldered together and filler has been applied. It is mounted to what will be the inlet for the wax. Mold making time now.
Jack
RN. Bd.Spt..jpeg