3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

rmac

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by rmac »

I don't even know what a booster engine is, but it sure is interesting seeing how you're doing all this stuff.

-- Russell Mac
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Russell. I think our models do an important task, and that's to preserve the past. In many instances the things we make don't exist any more. There are no New York Central Hudsons, or Pennsy T1's. Anyone out there building a T1? I'm sure you can add to the list. Our models are often the only steam locomotives many youngsters ever see. Most folks old enough to remember steam in daily service are sadly gone. I love watching people's face lite up when they see one of our models under steam for the first time. To me a steam loco is one of the most fascinating things on earth. When we are building we are standing on the shoulders of the great builders of the past, Baldwin, Schenectady, Cook, Lima, etc. We are often having to solve some of the same problems they were up against. Too much fun! Here is an interesting illustration that I found in the 1930 Locomotive Cyclopedia. A cut away of a Franklin booster. This is the booster I am building.
Have A Great Day
Jack
Attachments
Booster53.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a bit more on the booster. There are a couple round bulges on the bottom that provided clearance for the connecting rod big ends. These were made from 1-1/2" round brass. They had one end rounded and then were parted off. Then they were flipped around and the other end was rounded. Now they must be held in the mill vise to be sliced off but they are a awkward shape. So a flat was machined on them so they can be held successfully. Odd shaped parts are often a bit of a chess game, thinking through all the steps can prevent you from building yourself into a corner. In model building we often have these "Little Puzzles" and to me that is part of the fun.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Booster54.jpeg
Booster55.jpeg
Booster56.jpeg
Booster57.jpeg
Booster58.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is some more progress on the booster. The round bulge part was part was sliced off, stood on end in the vise and a shelf was milled that will fit to the bottom of the booster. A 7/32" end bill was used to make a flat bottom holes that bosses for a drain plugs will fill. Lastly we have the booster down side up, for a look. This whole booster engine is just a bunch of mostly simple shapes, that will comprise the final product. You have to think also in terms of sticking it together. When needed, screws were used to hold things together. Some major assemblies will be silver soldered. Then parts can be added with lower temperature stay brite solder, without worrying about having the silver solder come un done. And then electronic rosin core solder that has an even lower melting point. Epoxy, primer, and body filer can then be used. Sandable primer can be dabbed here and there, capillary action and surface tension will allow nice fillets to be formed. Remember...this is only a master to pull a mold off.
Too Much Fun!
Jack
Attachments
Booster60.jpeg
Booster61.jpeg
Booster62.jpeg
Booster63.jpeg
Booster64.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I managed to get a little time in on the booster. Mainly buttoning up loose ends. The main housing was soldered together, the central bulkhead was soldered in place, and the upper axle bearing housing was finished up and stuck in place with epoxy. There is a recessed cavity in the underside of the main housing that holds the cylinder had cover for the piston that moves the idler gear. The lower axle bearing housing was also finished up. There are still two bulkheads to be made and fitted up. I am going to cheat here by making them part of the two small top covers, instead of actually making them part of the main housing. Now it's time to start metal finishing and filling with primer and such. Also still to be made are the cylinder cocks with their operating cylinders and linkages. Time to get this finished and make the molds so I can move on to something else. As usual this little fellow has taken longer than anticipated. Once I started, and looked closer, it ended up being more complicated than at first thought. :roll:
More often than not, this is the case.
Jack
Attachments
Booster65.jpeg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Well done (from the hands of the master of brass) 8)
A photo of a batch of some 30 (German style) KT 1 working :!: feedwater pumps of scale 1 : 11.3 (5 " gauge) may be of interest?
They were constructed, manfactured by means of CNC, assembled and tested by a friend of mine Daniel. Ready for sale in the near future ...
Our hobby is still alive!
Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
Batch of KT 1 working feedwater pumps by D.H.
Batch of KT 1 working feedwater pumps by D.H.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Heavens to Betsy, what a fine bunch of pumps. CNC machinery was certainly a benefit for production like that. Thanks for posting Asteamhead, always interesting to see what you model builders have been making. Just a couple snappies today. These are parts for the cylinder cock assemblies for the booster. On the left is a cylinder cock, and to the right is the operating cylinder. Also a drawing showing the set up. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Booster67.jpeg
Booster66.jpeg
datman

Post by datman »

Asteamhead wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:54 pm Hello Jack,
Well done (from the hands of the master of brass) 8)
A photo of a batch of some 30 (German style) KT 1 working :!: feedwater pumps of scale 1 : 11.3 (5 " gauge) may be of interest?
They were constructed, manfactured by means of CNC, assembled and tested by a friend of mine Daniel. Ready for sale in the near future ...
Our hobby is still alive!
Best regards
Asteamhead
MMmmm candy, I could use one of those on my not built yet BR55! Asteamhead, who do contact to acquire one of these?

Thanks
Ian
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It has always amazed me how complex a simple thing like a steam locomotive could get
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:33 pm It has always amazed me how complex a simple thing like a steam locomotive could get

An interesting observation. At its most basic, a steam engine is perhaps the simplest of engines but by the end of steam they perhaps had more complicated accessory stuff on them than an i.c. engine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Our models can be simple, or complicated. An early 0-4-0...simple. A Nickel Plate Berkshire, or a New York Central Hudson, complicated. Take your pick, there's something for everybody. I happen to like both, but only have one lifetime to spend. Mom used to say, life is like a roll of toilet paper, when it gets towards the end it goes faster...She was right.
Back to model building. There is a recess down between the crosshead guides and connecting rods. There were two cover plates that bolted on down in there. You can see them in the top photo. On a model this would be pretty tough to do. Drilling and tapping, and then getting the plate in position to put the bolts in would a real challenge (impossible). The space between the covers is only 1/2" wide. The solution is shown in the second photo. A phony baloney cover that is part of the top cover. It hangs down and has cast on bolt heads. Cast on bolt heads is something I don't really like to do but this will be hidden under the ash pan. :lol:
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
Booster68.jpeg
Booster67.jpeg
Andy R

cast-on bolt heads on the 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Andy R »

Cast-on bolt heads - GASP!

Actually, that soon-to-be-cast-on bolting looks better than the work 99.9% of us could do.

As always, your work is outstanding, even if ... :)