3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
You seem to have found a quality foundry to cast your many one-off parts. Most fortunate.

I'm impressed. As usual.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Played around with the sliding cab side windows today. These are tiny little rascals and are .110" thick. After carefully sizing the blanks a recess was cut in what I call the universal holding fixture. Great for holding tiny parts. It's just a thick piece of aluminum that has been squared up so it can be held in the milling vise. There are a number of holes tapped 1/4"-20 for some simple home made hold downs as seen in photos 1 and 2. In photo 2 a blank has had the first opening cut. This is when a digital read out comes in very handy. Photo 2 shows one of the .020" thick frames and number three shows one of the .090" frames with a rebate cut around the opening for the glass. The bottom snappy shows the back side of the assembled frame with the glass fitted up. The screws were #000-120 x .032 but were just a bit long so they were cut down to 1/16". The tap drill holes in the .090" material were drilled .085" deep so as not to go clear through. Up next will be the window tracks for these windows. Then the Prime ventilator doors for the front of the cab and then it will be rivet slamming time. I have been fiddling with the cab for a while and will be glad to move on to something else, probably the running boards.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Window1.jpg
Window2.jpg
Window3.jpg
Window4.jpg
Window5.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Watching your steady progress 8) very carefully, I wonder, this link to my topic A 1239, page 13, bottom may inspire you a little bit?

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vi ... &start=144

That material called Pertinax (pressed paper used as electrical insulation) worked out fine :) . It looks like dark wood, but is stiffer.
Worked in pairs is recommended. Anyway one must be very concentrated on this job in case it's done w/o a CNC mill!
Have fun!
Asteamhead
Attachments
A cab, milling the slide windows in pairs
A cab, milling the slide windows in pairs
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I have been busy with Jim's Berkshire lately and haven't had much time for the Hudson. So here is a little teaser, the window, and window guides. I would have liked to have made the windows thinner but 1/16" glass was what I had laying around. GetR'done. :D
Jack
Attachments
Window.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack: Life is full of tough decisions.
If anyone notices the "thicker" window frames just do as I do and invite them to correct it.
((-;
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Hey Russ, good point, or as I have done, ask them how many locomotives they have completed. The "completed" part gets em'. But I must say I get very few nit pickers these days. :D Most folks are a pleasure to visit with.
Jack
thej611

Post by thej611 »

I have been following this build with great interest. Truly amazing work. And why in gods name would anyone nit pick your work?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

thej611 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:31 am [snip] And why in gods name would anyone nit pick your work?
Probably jealousy. :lol:
RussN
thej611

Post by thej611 »

LOL I bet . I could never find it in me to nit pick another person's work. My father built a 1 1/2 little engine pacific and it is amazing . I am sure there are faults but if someone puts all this time in a project why down grade it. And you are more then likely right jealousy
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
It's never good policy to criticize another's work unless pressed for an opinion. I always try to find something positive to comment on, "nice color" ...or something else. Usually the ones criticizing are incapable of making things and just don't get it. Most anyone who actually makes things understands the effort required and knows better. As I often say, "go with what you got", If all you have is a big mouth...
Jack
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Excellent thoughts Jack . I will use that in future when someone says something about people work. Thank you
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:36 am Hello My Friends
It's never good policy to criticize another's work unless pressed for an opinion. I always try to find something positive to comment on, "nice color" ...or something else. Usually the ones criticizing are incapable of making things and just don't get it. Most anyone who actually makes things understands the effort required and knows better. As I often say, "go with what you got", If all you have is a big mouth...
Jack

When I started in the hobby an old timer told me that no one really understands what it takes to build a live steamer until they've done it. And he was right. When I show a visitor my engine I always mention that it is not a kit. I tell them I go to the metal yard and buy metal, like someone would go to Lowe's and buy wood, and cut it and file it and drill it until I get locomotive parts. I might also tell them that there are 3978 rivets in the tender and 740 parts in the trucks, but I still don't think they get it. Fair enough, perhaps. I have no idea what it takes to learn how to play the piano.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.