3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I hope you all had a great weekend. Thank you Makinsmoke and A Steamhead. The removable cab with the stationary front can be accomplished with some tiny round head screws that have the same size heads as the rivets. Most of the rivets that hold the cab sides to the cab front will be dummies. Flush riveted into countersunk holes on the back side. The decision is weather to have the screws on the front, or side of the cab. If they are on the sides they are easier to get at, but more visible. On the front, and they are harder to get at. As the J1e's had a full width steam turret casing this can make getting the screws in and out of the front of the cab a problem, so they will probably be on the sides. Here are a few snappies of progress this weekend. First we have the cab roof sheets laid out for a look. The cab roof was made in three pieces like the prototype. The second photo shows a test piece that was made to see how the sliding roof ventilator doors would fit. They were made slightly oversize to allow better viewing of the pressure gauge and water glass. Photo number three is a look at the underside of the cab roof. The curved angles have been fitted up with #00-90 fillister head screws. There is still a lot of fitting up to do before rivets start going in. The tracks for the sliding side windows, the front ventilator doors, and some provisions for holding the tongue and groove siding that will line most of the cab interior. I have lined cabs like this before but never on anything this small. Just another fun little puzzle :D
Attachments
Cab50.jpg
Cab51.jpg
Cab52.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is a little more. The pressure gauge was propped up in the cab just for a look. The water glass will be visible through the left hand opening. I plan on making a water glass that looks like a reflex gauge but won't really be one. It will have a tube inside. Then we have a couple general views of the cab. For now the cab floor is just a bit of plywood. The final floor will be diamond tread. The prototype J1's actually had wood cab floors but I don't think that would work out too well on a model, with wayward hot coals, hot clicker hooks and such. Im hoping that some goodies from the foundry will show up this week, running board supports, Franklin power reverse castings, and a few other little trinkets. I'm starting to think about the tender now. I have some pretty nice Commonwealth truck castings on hand and the plan is to make a simulated one piece water bottom tender casting. It will be made of steel, lots of fun with the band saw, hammer, and TIG welder.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Attachments
Cab53.jpg
Cab54.jpg
Cab55.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Jack, on using diamond tread on the cab floor. Maybe not a big deal in a model.....but in real life diamond tread is a tough to use as it is hard to use a coal scoop to clean up spilled coal. Diamond tread in the seating area is fine.....but under the fire door it isn’t a good choice.

Keith
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Santa Fe had flat steel sheet for the cab floor center, and under the seats. On top of the floors in the seat area were steam coils, and wood boards on top of that, with gaps in between to allow the heat to come up through the wood flooring.

A separate steam valve for each side provided the engineer and fireman the ability to adjust the heat individually.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the tips concerning the cab floor. I never thought about the diamond tread preventing sweeping and cleaning. I may reconsider some wood on the floor. Maybe wood in the center with diamond tread under the seats. I never thought about cab heaters with that boiler back head in the cab. But in the colder months and in the eastern states I guess they were pretty important. Thanks again.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Good progress was made today on the little cab. The sliding roof ventilators have some deflectors at the front to help keep the wind and rain out. We can't have the crew getting wet and cold now! They are a curved zee section and required a couple simple formers to make. This is one of them little puzzles that I often ramble on about, not a difficult piece but it requires a bit of thought beforehand. In the first photo we have the formers, and the work piece (.020 Brass) trimmed to match the radius of the form tool. In the second photo the work piece has been clamped between the former and the hold down. The third photo shows the work piece formed over the die and snuggled down well with the rawhide mallet. The next photo shows the deflector with the first forming completed.
Attachments
Roof50.jpg
Roof51.jpg
Roof52.jpg
Roof53.jpg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now that the first forming is done it's time to bend it the other way. The work piece has been clamped to the another form tool with a convex curve and once again mashed down with our old friend the rawhide mallet. A bit of curved brass was used to clamp it to the die. The second photo shows the formed deflector. It will need a bit of finessing with the disc sander to true up the edges. And then we have the deflator plunked down on the roof to have a look. The first one I made was a bit too tall. The final three were made shorter. Often that happens, the first one isn't quite right, adjustments are then made. Ahh, that looks good. I made some changes to the deflectors from the prototype. On the full size deflectors the top edge is straight. Now thats the way her big sister was, but it just don't look right to me. So I made the top edge curved to match the ventilators. Like I have said before, sometimes perfect scale just don't look right. I never could color between the lines :D
Attachments
Roof54.jpg
Roof55.jpg
Roof56.jpg
Roof57.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

After the ventilator deflectors were made it was time to make the rear cab roof wind deflector. This is another one of them fiddly little puzzles I enjoy. It starts out as a long curved piece and gets riveted to the cab roof, or in this case stuck down with #00-90 round head screws. Delicate parts like this have a way of getting damaged, especially if you rivet the darn things on. Its much easier to straighten and repair if you can remove it from the cab. The deflectors for the roof ventilators are the same. The sliding side windows were started today. They will have .062" glass in them. The window frames will be .120" thick and will be held together with #000-120 x .032" brass flathead screws. Thats about as thin as windows can be made that can be taken apart if the class gets broken. I like real glass, not plastic or lexan. Plastic will deteriorate and scratch, looking really shabby after being in service for a while. Also coming up will be the half round brass trim. This will be made of .070" brass cut in half. It will be fastened in place with #000-120 brass screws, soldered in place and then the screw heads will be filed off. There is quite a bit of this trim on the cab. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
Roof58.jpg
Roof60.jpg
Roof59.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

You are: The Brass Master.
RussN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

Jack, I came across this two days ago and thought you would like it.
Attachments
110199067_10218746603468599_2747332115644668852_n.jpg
110284207_10218746604348621_1800051606167252274_n.jpg
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, to have been around during those days when it was commonplace to buy something like that - simply because you asked!

If you don't ask, you don't know if it's for sale...
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off, thank you Russ. And isn't that headlamp and number plate something else. I'm glad to see that part of 5344 got saved. I certainly wouldn't mind having that in my shop. Wonder where it is today. I went to the post office today and there was a little package full of jewelry from the foundry. Well, locomotive jewelry, but I like that better. The bell casting sets were in the box. Along with the Franklin power reverse castings. And then there were the running board, air reservoir supports. All this little baloney will get stuck on the engine soon. Busy, busy, too much fun :D
Jack
Attachments
Bell.jpg
Franklin.jpg
Supports.jpg