3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

NP317

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by NP317 »

Thanks for that explanatory link.
Very interesting.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Managed to get a few hours in fiddling with the Hudson. Sometimes I just need a break from the shop, so Sunday was spent outside doing gardening and moving dirt for the railway. The running board supports have been quite a puzzle and they are almost finished up. Saturday was spent on the piping bracket aspects of them. The prototype had provisions for several different piping sizes but I decided to make all the brackets all for 5/32" piping. That is probably the most common size in 3/4" scale and if smaller sizes are needed they can always be bushed down. In the top photo we have some little tubes silver soldered in. 1/4" OD. and 5/32" ID. After soldering the top half of the tubes were milled away. The same thing for the pipe clamp half as seen in the second photo. The last two snappies show them milled and held together for a look. The running boards will sit on top of the clamps. This is the same set up as on the Nickel Plate Berks. Now the supports will be soldered together, some metal finishing and filling will be done and then the molds will be made. These will be the most complicated molds I have made and I will have to think about them for a while. The big complicated one that holds the power reverse and distributing valve will have the waxes made in at least two sub assemblies and then wax welded together. Something I have never done. A delightful little puzzle?? Lets wait and see.
Jack
Attachments
RBS20.jpg
RBS21.jpg
RBS22.jpg
RBS23.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Nice looking parts for use as patterns! Why didn't you drill massive material and mill these half down ?
Looking forward to your process of making the waxes 8) ! Guess the final castings will be facinating!

All the best by Wulf-Dieter
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Haven't posted anything on the little Hudson for a while. But first, to answer Roberts question about the Valve Pilot. 5344 was not initially fitted with a Valve Pilot. Later in life it was. As I am building 5344 as it left the factory it will not have one, although they are a cool detail. It will also not have the emergency air reservoir for the power reverse as they too were added later. The next little puzzle is to finish up the running board, air tank, piping support masters, make the molds and get the castings. After that things should progress rapidly for a while as the running boards, cab, various piping and such are made. Then things should slow down again as masters and molds are made for the trailing truck booster and it's articulated steam lines. Also the stoker engine, sand and steam dome, auxiliary dome, Barco low water alarm, and Westinhouse distributing valve. Along with an assorted gaggle of little jewelry. Here is a photo taken today, just for fun. To me the New York Central Hudson were classically handsome engines. But that's just me :D
Happy Model Building.
Jack
Attachments
5344.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Drool!
RussN
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Wow! I’m in awe.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Privileged as I have been to look at the Hudson up-close I can confirm that the photos cannot convey all of the incredible detail that Jack has put into it.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 pm Hello My Friends
Haven't posted anything on the little Hudson for a while. But first, to answer Roberts question about the Valve Pilot. 5344 was not initially fitted with a Valve Pilot. Later in life it was. As I am building 5344 as it left the factory it will not have one, although they are a cool detail. It will also not have the emergency air reservoir for the power reverse as they too were added later. The next little puzzle is to finish up the running board, air tank, piping support masters, make the molds and get the castings. After that things should progress rapidly for a while as the running boards, cab, various piping and such are made. Then things should slow down again as masters and molds are made for the trailing truck booster and it's articulated steam lines. Also the stoker engine, sand and steam dome, auxiliary dome, Barco low water alarm, and Westinhouse distributing valve. Along with an assorted gaggle of little jewelry. Here is a photo taken today, just for fun. To me the New York Central Hudson were classically handsome engines. But that's just me :D
Happy Model Building.
Jack
wow jack, you are blowing me away with info on 5344 that even I never knew. I guess I gotta start reading up in thouroughbred's and know thy hudsons. great work on your 3/4 btw. absolutely incredible.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Once again thank you for your most generous compliments. I haven't really done anything on the little engine for a while but here is a photo just for fun. I hope to finish up the running board support masters in June. Then it will be mold making time. The masters for the Franklin Precision power reverse are all done, also the peculiar New York Central bell and yoke. Then waxes will be made and sent off to the foundry. Then it will be time to start some really fun bits like the cab and full width turret casing. This casing is a distinctive New York Central characteristic. I think they used this to help keep plumbing and injectors and such from freezing in their severe winters. The cab will have sliding side windows with real glass and I may have a go at some tiny Prime ventilator cab windows in the doors. One thing I have learned about cab construction over the years is to make the cab front stationary with the engine. There is a lot of piping and such that goes through the cab front. If you have to remove this piping and linkages to the power reverse and throttle it can make cab removal difficult. So I now make the cab easy to remove by leaving the cab front in place. I built a lot of engines before I finally figured this one out. Hopefully we learn something every day.
Happy Model Building.
Jack
Attachments
5344-2.jpg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

beautiful jack, hey if and when you complete your Hudson. I know it would be a long trip for you, but you have an open invitation to bring your 5344 to NJLS and run on our highline. it's 3½": 700' elevated track and dual gauged for 4 3/4. it has big challenging curves. and maybe we can do a photo session with my fathers 5344.
Attachments
1506869_10153312823778317_2589821976148107764_n.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you for the invitation Dan. I definitely will take you up on it. I hope to make a cross country trip one of these days, visiting as many tracks as possible. New Jersey Live Steamers is on the list!
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Spent the day making a bit O' progress on the little Hudson. The running board supports are the focus for now. These are some fiddly little rascals and I think I have been avoiding them...So today the pads that fit against the boiler were made and silver soldered in place. You can see the pads in the first photo here. There are round ones and elongated ones. On the full size engines these fitted through the boiler jacket and lagging. The pads could be ground down if needed to get things to line up nicely. They fitted up to 1" and 1-1/8" studs. The next photo shows the front tank mount on the engineers side. It has piping brackets on top which will be under the running boards and some down below. You can also see the pads on the backside. Photo three shows one of the fireman's side supports. The two on this side are the same with piping brackets on both the top and bottom.. In this photo the piping clamp is shown on top. On the prototype supports there were provisions for different size pipe. I just made these all the same size, 5/32".
Attachments
RNBDSPT1.jpg
RNBDSPT2.jpg
RNBDSPT3.jpg