3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Bill Shields »

What suspension WAS on it? Simple springs on each axle?

Generally speaking ..the entire casting set I got was really crappy. Cylinders so full of holes they were totally unusable. Baker frames the same way.

Rear frame extension so twisted almost unusable...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Those ARE nice looking!
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ, I was most fortunate to come across these trucks. They are turning out to be real gems under all that paint :D As Bill mentioned, these trucks had a couple coil springs over each axle box. This probably would have worked, but me being the lunatic that I am... figuring out, making, and then fitting together all that spring rigging is one of them delightful little puzzles that I often ramble on about. I have assembled both Commonwealth and Buckeye trucks. The flexibility of Buckeye trucks is amazing. They tend to be simpler too, as the side frames are the equalizers. Quite an amazing design. The brake rigging on both is very similar, being clasp brakes. The brake Rigging on Jim Kreider's Buckeye tender trucks has about 120 #6 bolts, I made them #6-40, three different lengths, with castellated nuts and tiny cotter pins. But I am getting ahead of myself here. Today was spent stripping the second truck and starting on the wheels and axles. Same routine as the truck frame. Paint remover, wire brush, rinse, repeat. The journals were masked off and then into the blast cabinet using very fine Black Diamond. Then the journals all needed some attention. They were a bit rough. The wheel treads were polished. #220 grit, then #400, and #600. The gauge on all the wheel sets is about .040 too narrow. They will be pressed off the axles and a .020" spacer will be put behind each wheel. Then I can start on the new axle box master. The axle boxes will have half brasses and a bit of felt in the cellars. They will be like the old Nelson Gray journals. First the half brasses go in, and then once you stuff in the axle the brasses can not fall out of position. Properly maintained, give each one a squirt of oil, and they roll amazingly well.
Having Fun Here
Jack
Attachments
TT6.jpeg
TT7.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hallo My Friends
I spent the day in the shop working on molds. The molds for the long arms on the booster engine. Also both the male and female flexible connectors. The masters are mostly done and work focused on the little wood boxes that the silicone rubber will pour into. Then some time was spent looking through a couple different loco cyclopedias at journal boxes. Mainly the lids. I kind of like this first variety in the top two photos. I like the exposed spring with the two rivets holding it in place. They may have used this on the New York Central Hudsons, but I can't find a photo to prove it. I think this type of lid was an earlier design. They did use lids like in the third photo. This is a Symington axle box and lid. This axle box was used extensivly on the Hudsons until roller bearing axle boxes came into use. Many earlier Hudsons had their tender trucks retro-fitted with roller bearings. To me this is a classic axle box lid. The illustration says this axle box is for an electric locomotive, but the lids were the same for Commonwealth trucks. At the bottom is a drawing showing what the castellated nuts on the side of the axle box held in place. An end thrust bearing. I think this is a cool feature and although I will be handling the end thrust with the back side of the axle boxes and a Delrin AF washer I will be including the castellated nuts and studs.
Attachments
JBox1.jpeg
JBox2.jpeg
JBox3.jpeg
JBox4.jpeg
ebtfan

Post by ebtfan »

Hi Jack,
Thanks much for posting your work on various projects. Your illustrations and ideas have helped and inspired me as I continue work on my 1.5" PRR K-4. I just wanted to comment on the lids for the journal boxes. The second photo is definitely a PRR truck. Most likely on one of their tenders. The PRR also used the same lid on their locomotive trailing trucks. Here is a photo of the tender trucks on the K-4 that is rotting away at the Pennsylvania Railroad Museum.
Attachments
PRR Lid.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank You ebtfan. That definitely looks like a Pennsy tender truck. They were pretty much unmistakable.
Jack
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Zoomed in close as I could, NYC 5287. Is that a speedometer on the third axle? Maybe some kind of ATC or signaling pickup?
NYC5287_tendertruck.jpg
NYC5287_tender.jpg
Edit - fixed the engine number
John Brock
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The lump under that axle box tells all
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:59 pm The lump under that axle box tells all
Not to me, it doesn't. Want to share what you know?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

It is a magnetic pickup for a train control detector.basically a big magnet.

Run past another energized magnet on the track and you get a red lightning the cab. Some later (experimental) versions actually had a way to close the throttle on steamers.
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Don't know if this fits with the current train control question . A gentleman asked about Pennsy train control and I found this Manual for him to read

http://rrsignalpix.com/pdf/USS_144_ocr_sec.pdf

IF you go to the home site on this page with this link it may have the working of the NYC system also

http://rrsignalpix.com/documents.php
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Bill. I really like steam but know so little about locomotives.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.