3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Bill Shields »

Working brakes?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Because the big guys don’t have a washer and nut with cotter pin holding the trucks to the rolling stock frame.

In a derailment once enough separation occurs to pull the pin out of the bolster the truck just take off. There are plenty of derailment photos showing the trucks in every dimension imaginable.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or an employee with a big enough wrench to tighten it
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

makinsmoke wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:57 pm Because the big guys don’t have a washer and nut with cotter pin holding the trucks to the rolling stock frame.

In a derailment once enough separation occurs to pull the pin out of the bolster the truck just take off. There are plenty of derailment photos showing the trucks in every dimension imaginable.
Heh! That makes sense! I suspect that the chain wouldn't serve much of a purpose in a derailment in keeping the truck properly oriented. It would break all too easily, as would the attachment, but it would most likely serve adequately in keeping the truck from moving far enough for the pin to disengage. All depends on what the car is going through in a derailment, I suspect.

That said, is it safe to assume that a safety chain was attached to all four corners?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes...one on each cirner
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yes there will be working brakes on the tender. Clasp brakes with two brake shoes per wheel. Here is a drawing showing the general arrangement. I have made all this baloney in 1-1/2" scale. On both Buckeye, and commonwealth trucks. It will be a real hoot to make in 3/4" scale. Clasp brakes work amazingly well. Sorry the drawing doesn't reproduce well here.
Arrangement.jpg
There are four safety chains per truck, one on each corner. Totally unnecessary on a model. But then, the entire model is unnecessary :lol:
Jack
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Jack, I think you’ve given me the best line for people who ask what I do in my shop. Something totally unnecessary :-)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JBodenmann wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:29 am Totally unnecessary on a model.
Depends on one's objective. If a faithful model of a prototype is intended, each and every detail is important, including surface finishes. You've done an excellent job of providing these details in my opinion.

Does anyone know why they were eventually abandoned? Was it an economic decision, or did they fail to live up to expectations?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

A tender, lever for the hand brake to be seen right
A tender, lever for the hand brake to be seen right
Hello Jack and Harold,
You`re absolutely right! All which is necessary to have working engine are 4 wheels and a fat boiler :)
By the way, Jack: The brake rigging of your J 1e -tender is very similar to that of my A. Such a lot of parts to mame, mostly 12 or 24 of each type :shock: But a brake working perfectly as the result, so 8)
One question: I found no hand brake at most of the US tenders? They were very common and (helpful) in Europe and used the same rigging by means of a lever or hand crank. Thus I decided to add such a device to my tender for inhenced safety. Other ideas?
Best regards
asteamhead
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Brakes on my 3/4". Hudson tender are for parking only...since as you say...they work very well. :mrgreen:
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

Hi Jack
Amazing work as usual. I though I'd share a couple of picks of my fathers work in 1" scale in the late 1950s I road on this engine sitting in front of dad on the tender in the early 60s.
Jim
Attachments
20220816_171334.jpg
No problems just solutions.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a drawing of the type of brake cylinder that I will be making. It has a several interesting features. First it utilizes toggle bolts to hold the cylinder heads in place. It has a clevis on the end opposite of the piston rod. It also has a hollow piston rod. I'll explain that in a minute.
IMG_7372.jpeg
Here is a drawing showing what the clevis is for. The two brake levers are tied together by the brake cylinder, and a turn buckle for adjustment to take up slack in the rigging. The outer end of the brake levers is linked to the equalizer beams.
Brake Rigging.jpg
Also notice that the brake cylinder has a hollow piston rod. This last drawing shows why. Inside the hollow piston rod is a floating push rod. This does two things, it directs the pushing force to the piston, and allows the clevis end to move in an arc with the brake lever.
IMG_7373.jpeg

Just some things I thought you might fine interesting.
Have A Great Day
Jack