My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello fans,
Just one more step to finish the project: The working power reverse :D
All parts are made of bronze or stainless steel. It's now working on air but is intended to work on water taken from the boiler :idea: .
Max force is about 80 pounds, travel is + / - 21 mm.
The (plastic) piston ring is made by Busak&Shamban, the valve is made of a shaft of a milling tool of just 4 mm diameter.

Asteamhead
Attachments
Cylinder is soldered from parts made of bronze.<br />Channels are of just 1 mm diameter
Cylinder is soldered from parts made of bronze.
Channels are of just 1 mm diameter
Power reverse working on air
Power reverse working on air
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello fans,
During two meetings at Oberursel and Kassel the A ran very well :D . A friend of mine worked as engineer most of the time with passenger trains and had fun.
The power reverse now works on hot (boiler) water as intended. The stoker had some difficulties regarding the movements between locomotive and tender, which were in excess of the calculated limits. Thus hand firing was still necessary yet :( . This problem will be fixed a.s.a.p. :idea:
By the way we fired anthrazite coal of finest quality - the almost last being digged from 4.500 feet below at Ibbenbueren, the very last such pit in Germany. It will be closed before the end of the year.
Some important parts are still to be added yet. CC-air pumps, sandboxes, front coupler and 6-wheel tender bogies are still missing. Some work for next winter-season.

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A at DBC-Kassel, smoke is lifted easily above the engineer. Not just clean anthrazite of course ...
A at DBC-Kassel, smoke is lifted easily above the engineer. Not just clean anthrazite of course ...
A side view
A side view
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A remarkable achievement!
~RN
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

NP317, thank you!
Now some more information regarding steaming by means of the stoker.
Pure anthrazite coal of high quality seems to be hard stuff for the stoker :? . I did some work to improve the coal crusher but still given coal size wasn't the best to be fed by the stoker. A steamer had developed a working external coal crusher which delivers the desired size to be fed by the stoker pretty easily :idea: . Still not perfect, the locomotive ran by stoker at several trips now. Some hand fireing is still needed to build up a stable firebed bevor starting yet.
While I'm working on further improvements, the loco is running fine so far.
Please have a look at the crane, built back in 1954 (!) by the late Mr. Moch, which delivers coal into the crusher - all just for fun :lol: !

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A pulling a heavy 7.25 loco at DBC-T meeting
A pulling a heavy 7.25 loco at DBC-T meeting
HT stoker, auger with max size of coal which can be fed without permanent crushing
HT stoker, auger with max size of coal which can be fed without permanent crushing
HT stoker, view on auger with built in coal crusher
HT stoker, view on auger with built in coal crusher
A view into the engineer's cab side, now with 24 RL brake stand
A view into the engineer's cab side, now with 24 RL brake stand
Crane, feeding the coal crusher
Crane, feeding the coal crusher
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

What an achievement!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
The A is absolutely magnificent! I wish I could see it in person.
Jack
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

jack,
I have seen it in person, and the photos and video seen here and on YouTube don't do it justice! It is a work of art and faithful to the prototype. Just incredible that it works and works well to be 1" scale. Asteamhead has created a magnificent operating scale model! Each addition makes it even better!

Peter
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Peter, Jack and PRR5406,
Thank you all for your kind recognition! Knowing well my A isn't complete yet, your words encourage me to finish it with enthusiasm.

But sorry for I am busy now with boiler repairs and inspection of my first engine DB class 44 1167. We are planing to run a record ore train, the so called 'Langer Heinrich', which had been running as late as 1977 at Oberursel, May 2018. This train mostly had 2 class 44 (043, 044) 3-cylinder engines on the point.
Maybe we can pull that train of up to 50 cars with the lone A on the point - just for fun, too.
If you like, please have a look at this Youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiDVRHYvbUs

Best regards
Asteamhead
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

That is a.very cool video W-D! I was visiting my eldest brother in 1972 with my parents....but, in Bavaria. Nuremburg to be exact. The hotel was across the square from the HBF. I don't remember any steam....

But, I digress. I was reading all of your posts last night and came across the boiler check photos. When I started working for NS in the steam shop, one of the first jobs that I was assigned was to grind the seats on 1218's check valve. Both sides, stop valves and feed valves. Then I had to make a new pump side valve. That was fun. The drawing called for a copper nickel alloy. I made the valve out of stainless steel while the boss researched the material. That was before the internet and it took awhile for him to find it.

The check valve looks great, by the way!

Andy
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Andy,
Nothing but my highest respect for all those people who engage in repairing and maintaining those historic steam locomotives - and make them steaming again!
When reading that glorious book 'The Mohawk That Refused to Abdicate' some 30 years ago, I was impressed by the chapter about the N&W 'Roanoke: Alamo for Steam', page 140! Not to forget Winston O. Link of course!
David P. Morgan and Philip R. Hastings expressed their (yet unexspected :o ) admiration regarding that precision railroading by means of some (if not THE :!: ) best constructed and most useful steam locomotives ever built.
Then and there I decided to build a scale model of the A with Timken roller bearings :!: throughout. It should look and perform similar to the prototype, shown on page 146 as far as possible!
And before I could really start my project, my old friend K could be convinced to build the second of the Big Three of the N&W, his wonderful class Y6b 2172 :wink: . And his son Steamchris steped in to complete this fleet by his J 611 8) !
The 2900 of the Santa Fe or an M4 of the Missabe RR were in consideration, too.
But none of them or even UPs showed all :roll: the modern equipment as the last 5 of the As did!
For I had already built a model of the most effective and longest living freight train locomotives (Europe) of DB class 44 fuel Decapod, I wished to have an engine with a Standard HT-stoker. Working, if possible :D
Thus my reommendation to all newcomers: First look for a prototype you like best 8) , before you start some 10 years of construction work!

Asteamhead (WD)
Attachments
A with Timken roller bearings (excerpt from Classic Trains)
A with Timken roller bearings (excerpt from Classic Trains)
DB class 44 1167 steaming on rollers, gauge 5&quot;
DB class 44 1167 steaming on rollers, gauge 5"
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hey you both,

WD, you hit directly in my little Steam Heart with your words. Our small and funny crew is so important to me...hopefully we could steaming together for the next 10 years, healthy and strong.

All the very best

Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello my friends,
After some necessary shop work on my other locomotive DB class 44, there is time again to continue with the A.
For we intend to run a famous extra long freight in may with a 44 doubleheader on the point 8) , the 44 had priority until the end of year 2018. She is on steam again :D !
The A will be presented at Dresden during 15th to 17th of february. She needed some hours in the shop, too to make her work there on steam. Besides some work on the grate, stoker auger, some valves and lubricators, the power reverse was completed. It's running now both on air or water :) (bypassed from the 6SA water pump). Some slight modifications of the tubing and the main reverse valve were necessary, too. Some more work will be needed with the 'jewelery', yet.
But first, the 44 will be completed for the big run in may! We will have fun!

Asteamhead
Attachments
A powere reverse ready to run
A powere reverse ready to run
Class 44 at christmas eve
Class 44 at christmas eve