My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you RussN!
Hello steamers,
With both trucks ready now and mounted under the A tender, I traveled towards Bouveret CH with my friend Raps last week.
They held their anual international meeting (www.swissvapeur.ch), a generous combined 5 " and 7 1/4 " track.
The tender now equiped with the totally new trucks ran safely and stable as intended :D. Thus we could run the A without trouble. Once we found the right mix of coal for the HT stoker, we could run the engine by exclusive use of the stoker :)
We met another A 1218 on gauge 7 1/4 " which had been built some years ago. Thus we enjoyed great days!
The lasered parts needed for the brake are constructed and under way. Will take some more time to finish!
Some photos are showing the event.

Best regards
asteamhead
Attachments
A 1239 at first run at Bouveret
A 1239 at first run at Bouveret
A 1239 versus A 1218 (7 1/4 ")
A 1239 versus A 1218 (7 1/4 ")
A 1239 versus two class 44 (7 1/4 ") at the shed
A 1239 versus two class 44 (7 1/4 ") at the shed
A tender with T95 trucks, upside
A tender with T95 trucks, upside
A tender with T95 trucks, upside at minimum radius
A tender with T95 trucks, upside at minimum radius
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hey WD,

great pictures..good to see your achievement. The Trucks looking very nice.

All the best
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Congrats!
any more pics of the 7 1/4 "a"?

Must be propane fired to run it from behind the tender. I'm guessing built to 1.5 scale?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

It looks like you had a great run.
Jack
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi,

here is a short video about the A class...

https://youtu.be/nMtBujSTx8g

Regards

Health and Safety Notice

has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you Steamchris, Berkman and Jack!
Indeed, we had a lot of fun there :) . No difficulties nor derailments with the brand new tender trucks occured :D. And we were glad to show the HT-stoker working continously to the swiss steam friends once we found the right mix of anthrazit and soft coal. They still run a former French Mikado 1 4 1 R from time to time with museum trains. But they never saw that before as model
Berkman: The A 1218 of scale 1.5 is running on 7 1/4 ". And, she is hand fired by coal :!: But look, her grate and firebox are large enough to run the engine a full circle of about 2 miles with no additional firing necessary. Even with passenger load you cannot use all her tremendeous power 8)
Steamchris: We may meet at Schackendorf this week?

Best regards
asteamhead
Attachments
From unload the A had to be switched to the shed
From unload the A had to be switched to the shed
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi WD,

im so sad about to say that i cant come to Schackendorf this year. Silvana's 40th Birthday is at this time, i've got still some work to do in our new house, but we finale moved in the house.

All the best and a save travel at north

Chris

Health and Safety Notice

has been switched off !
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Helo friends!
Work will not end any soon! Many of the numerous parts of the tender's clasp brake were made by water cut now :D. Some bolts are to be welded to the ends of the cross bars yet. Some more levers are to come. The brake shoes will then be made as prints or of oak wood (as done before for the loco), whatever will work out best to me.
Best regards by
asteamhead
Attachments
T95 brake parts made of stainless steel by means of water cut.
T95 brake parts made of stainless steel by means of water cut.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pretty work!
I suspect that oak for shoes works quite nicely. Tough wood!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Beautiful work WD!!

I'm glad to see that you guys are all doing well.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Thank you Harold and Andy!
Yes, we are still well here but things are going at a slower pace now due to my age of 75:(
Just now I am doing some maintainance work. First I changed the blast pipes of 9 mm diameter in favour of a pair of reduced diameters of 7 mm. This measure should increase both draft and desired offbeat noise at lower output. The stoker engine needed a closer look after some 200 hours of duty :!: . One piston had a leaky ring and both piston valves showed some wear, too. Easy to be renewed, it`s steam consumption should be reduced to normal then :) . The mechanics did not need any maintainance yet due to extensive use of ball bearings throughout :D
Some photos will follow soon.
I found the missing photo on my PC featuring the 7 1/4 " A 1218 at Bouveret: A scene similar to the famous night shot of Winston Link`s "Thunder On Blue Ridge"

Best regards and keep on steaming!
Wulf-Dieter
Attachments
Night scene with A 1218 at Bouveret CH
Night scene with A 1218 at Bouveret CH
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

:) Hello friends!
The overhaul of the stoker engine was finished. After changing 2 piston rings and replacing the piston valves I tested the engine by means of a) an old compressor from a refrigerator first. Like this procedure cause you get a good idea regarding losses, friction and propper adjustment of the valves. Then a test followed by means of a real compressor at full preasure up to 120 psi. Impossible to stop the engine's shaft by hand :) ! You won't believe: This tiny engine delivers up to 1 Nm at the shaft from stop at any position to about 600 rpm - almost a tenth of a HP :!: .
I found it necessary to construct a new oil pump to be installed in the cab. Seems nobody took care of the small one hidden under the cab before.
You see me happy for the stoker showed a tendency to stall in case the boiler preasure felt beloow 100 psi before. The reverse lever had to be used pretty often to start the coal crusher again. Need to test that under steam!
There are some close photos of the engine when open, the valve gear and the refurbished engine.

Best regards
asteamhead
Attachments
HT-stoker engine at service
HT-stoker engine at service
HT-stoker engine, piston, valve gear and crosshead
HT-stoker engine, piston, valve gear and crosshead
HT-stoker engine, assembling the crosshead
HT-stoker engine, assembling the crosshead
HT-stoker engine, ready for use again after service. Dimensions are: Bore 16 mm, stroke 15 mm, piston valves 4 mm
HT-stoker engine, ready for use again after service. Dimensions are: Bore 16 mm, stroke 15 mm, piston valves 4 mm