My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

GregE

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by GregE »

Very cool to see your process.
Thanks for posting!
Greg Easter
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello GregE,
Please see some more of that stuff. The center part is made of several parts, which allows individual milling and drilling :idea: before beeing soldered.This makes it a great easier to drill the (hidden) valve seats. Centering is made by means of separate precise O-ring seats. Those of greater diameter are turned on the cover plates while the smaller seats are turned and inserted separately.The plan advantages as intended :D .The steps of making are shown.
Different from the usual method, stuffing boxes will be inserted into the plates from the outside :idea: .That makes assembly a lot easier!
Threads M 10 x 1 (about R 1/8) in the cover plates are used to fix mandrels, which allows precise finishing.
Necessary air chanals will be drilled after all parts are inserted and final soldering yet.

All the best
Asteamhead
Attachments
A CC pump, center piece. O-rings and seats for stuffing boxes are shown
A CC pump, center piece. O-rings and seats for stuffing boxes are shown
A CC pump, parts of center piece. Method of centering to be seen
A CC pump, parts of center piece. Method of centering to be seen
A CC pump, cover plates and lanterns. Valve seats / groves are to be seen
A CC pump, cover plates and lanterns. Valve seats / groves are to be seen
A CC pump, method of making valve seats
A CC pump, method of making valve seats
A CC pump, cylinders
A CC pump, cylinders
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W,
First intermediate part was done! Silver soldering all the fabricated parts (12) made of bronze worked out fine :D . A lot of preparation and fixing some parts was necessary however.
Small pieces of silver solder were placed inside the lanterns at several places. Some more was added carefully during the process from the outside.
Accuracy and centering wern*t affected :D
The chanals are to be drilled yet. Stuffing boxes and valves will be added finally.

Asteamhead
Attachments
A CC-AP, intermediate part, now silver soldered
A CC-AP, intermediate part, now silver soldered
A CC-AP, intermediate part. Threads for stuffing boxes and valve caps are to be seen
A CC-AP, intermediate part. Threads for stuffing boxes and valve caps are to be seen
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Excellent progress on the pump. What sort of piston rings do you plan on using?
Jack
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Jack,
Thank you for your interest!
For turning pistons and piston rod was one of the next steps, I made one set just today :) .
The steam (HP) piston got a set of two standard piston rings of grey iron. By the way the same size which I used with the piston valves of the A :idea:
The piston was made as small as possible (as with the prototype) to get a long stroke of 1 ".The (LP) air piston holds just one O-ring with a very slight fit inside the cylinder. This combination worked out best already with the air pump of my DB class 44 engine, which I built some 40 years ago.
Thus the air piston is a bit smaller than that of the steam cylinder. This will ensure the steam piston will stop the movement in any case :idea:
The steam piston is connected to the rod by means of a fine thread, whereas the air piston got a tapered seat, fixed by a nut.
Thus the set may be removed upwards very easily: Just the upper and lower cover plates and the (LP) air piston are to be removed before.
LP steam and HP air pistons will be arranged the same way. Yet the HP air piston will receive piston rings instead in favour to reduce friction :?: .

Asteamhead
Attachments
A CC AP, HP steam piston and LP air piston at upper position. Minimum distantance between air piston and intermediate section can be seen
A CC AP, HP steam piston and LP air piston at upper position. Minimum distantance between air piston and intermediate section can be seen
A CC AP, pistons at lower position.
A CC AP, pistons at lower position.
A CC AP, piston rod with LP air piston removed
A CC AP, piston rod with LP air piston removed
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Some more photos (will be the last this year).
Constructing the valve head of that minor size given by the prototype was a challange :!: . Having constructed several working pumps for my former engine even smaller than this CC pump, I'm confident all will work as intended.
Instead of a complicated cast upper cylinder cover including the valve chambers, I decided to make it of separated parts which will be silver soldered into one piece. Thus the steam chanals can be drilled much easier :D . Short pieces of tube inserted between the separate parts will stop the silver solder filling the critical small drills by accident :idea:. All parts were made of bronze in favour of safe soldering. Look, using bronze rather than brass will give you a second chance in case the solder didn't make it into each part. Just put the piece into whinegar and clean it by means of a simple ultrasonic bath and try again :D .
Diameter of the drills is 2 mm, respective 4 x 1 mm inside the valve sleeves. More about those parts will be reported next year.

Wish all of you a Happy New Year!
Asteamhead
Attachments
CC pump with cylinder head
CC pump with cylinder head
CC pump, drilling and milling the main valve housing
CC pump, drilling and milling the main valve housing
CC pump, milling the auxilary valve housing
CC pump, milling the auxilary valve housing
CC pump, milling the exaust steam passages as pair
CC pump, milling the exaust steam passages as pair
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends of the N&W,
Still alive I overcame this nasty year with some indoore jobs. The A project not finished yet, I prepared that engine for a first steam up with friends this yearr :D .
Thus all the SuperScale globe valves which were leaking after some use were to be improved. I found stems were of low prceision and the packages were of poor construction :( . Thus I tried to improve the valves into better condition, please see photos.
May this will be helpful to other modelers, too :?:

All the best
Asteamhead
Attachments
SuperScale globe valve, stem and package improved.<br />From left side to be seen: stem, tool to fix the stem in the chuck, small disc, longer disc, nut and globe.
SuperScale globe valve, stem and package improved.
From left side to be seen: stem, tool to fix the stem in the chuck, small disc, longer disc, nut and globe.
Turning down a bit the stem to smooth its surface
Turning down a bit the stem to smooth its surface
Boring the housing to add some (4 mm) space for a better packing. A small and a longer disc are clamping the PTFE  packing.
Boring the housing to add some (4 mm) space for a better packing. A small and a longer disc are clamping the PTFE packing.
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Hello Asteamhead,
Wanted to let you know that those are Coles valves not Superscale. Love your work, enjoy watching your progress.

Jeff Smith
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That makes more sense. The quality from Superscale had a tendency to be exceptionally good.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello my friends,
Being still alive, in spite a long time out, just one last reply this year.
Working at several different hobies during covid shutdown, I 'm back with the boogies type T 95 for my A. The good friend of mine R.P.S. did the CNC-milling of the frames cast of bronze :) . Thus I started with the springing, for which I needed some more final dimensions. Please share fun with me regarding the attached photos, thanks!
Wish you a better New Year 2022 with less covid :evil: and more freedom and fun again thanks vacination!

Asteamhead
Attachments
A Tender truck T 95, frame with springs
A Tender truck T 95, frame with springs
A Tender truck, frame with springs , side view
A Tender truck, frame with springs , side view
A T 95 leaf spring fixed in the tool for TIG-welding
A T 95 leaf spring fixed in the tool for TIG-welding
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Looks great WD!

Glad to hear that you’re still working on your A!

Hopefully we can make it back in September of 2022.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

I notice what appears to be a roll of Teflon tape in the image with the disassembled Cole's valve. Is the tape what you are using for the packing material?

Did you make a new packing bushing to fit the enlarged packing area of the valve bonnet?

Did you make the disk of the valve stem so it was back seating against the bonnet when full open?