My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Asteamhead

Re: My N&W class A 1239 (gauge 5", 1 in 10 scale)

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Rwilliams ,

You're right, the Teflon band is used as standard packing for stems. This makes aditional small disks made of brass or bronze mandatory to prevent the Teflon from creeping out of the package :idea:
And yes, the inner disk stops the bonnet,too.
Best regards
Asteamhead
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Asteamhead,
Thank you for the steam valve response. I use some of the same tricks in full size steam valves to prevent the all too common leaks all over the cab. I was thinking that the same tricks might be applied to our scale model steam valves and you have already set the standard for the model valves.

Robert
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Very cool seeing all the detail. Love the idea of going to a double stack on it.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Berkman,
Thank you for your kind recognition! There was a time out on my project due to covid :roll: and other drawbacks and prefering additional hobbys.
But back in the race now, I will continue reporting some more details regarding the commonwealth tender trucks T 95. Several parts are finished, but there still remain a lot of work (parts) to do. For I make all leverage, springs and bolts of stainless steel :) this takes some additional time.
Making of the leaf springs is shown by some photos. Material is stainless (spring) steel no. 1.4310. This can be milled and drilled with care by using Co 5-tools at reduced speed.

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A T 95 Leaf spring clamped down in tool 2 for final drilling (slowly!)
A T 95 Leaf spring clamped down in tool 2 for final drilling (slowly!)
A t 95 Leaf spring assembled and pressed into tool 2 for TIG-welding
A t 95 Leaf spring assembled and pressed into tool 2 for TIG-welding
A T 95 Leaf springs being milled fine in tool 1 for fit
A T 95 Leaf springs being milled fine in tool 1 for fit
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello friends,
Time to post some parts for the T 95 tender trucks I finished recently.
All parts for the spring rigging are finished now, which took some time. Carefully construction was necessary to ensure all parts may be inserted inside the hollow frame and make them work as intended.
The inner spring hangers are to be hung into the equilisation bar first. The central spring and the arrangement can be inserted into the cavern then. Once in place, they will stay connected under any condition (Jack: for your J1e :?: ). Next the middle leaf spring can be shifted into the inner spring hangers and fixed by fastening the hex-bolts (M 3), too. The outer leaf springs will be shifted into the caverns and into the spring hangers then. The end hangers can be inserted and fixed next. Once the outside springs are fixed by the discs, just castle nuts and cotters are to be added.
All active parts are made of stainless steel. Saddles are made of round bronze.
The complete assembly will be stable under any condition as derailing or lifting the tender by crane :idea:
Some more photos which will show the final assembly into the frame to come soon.

Best regards
Asteamhead
Attachments
A T 95 spring arrangement and parts
A T 95 spring arrangement and parts
A T 95 springs and assembly of spring hangers, details
A T 95 springs and assembly of spring hangers, details
A T 95 tender truck, test assembly
A T 95 tender truck, test assembly
A T 95, inserting equilisation bars with spring hangers
A T 95, inserting equilisation bars with spring hangers
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Very nice!
I know very little about the springs used for these models, but I have a question about the rigidity of those you've made. I suspect they'll be rather stiff. Could you please tell me a little more about them, and if they are as rigid as they appear?
Thanks!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello Herold,
You're right, those springs are pretty stiff! The dimensions are scaled down from the prototype for better looks, no matter regarding their stiffness.
Stiffness of all the springs is about 2 mm (1/16 ") from no load to full.
But look, as long there is a full equilisation :!: between the wheels of each side, this doesn't really matter. This will allow for an up or down of each axle of about +/- 1/8 " (4 mm). The total load is another story: Total weight of the tender is about 400 pounds - more than the 180 tons scaled down. The driver`s weight of 200 (or more :) )pounds is to be added. Thus some more stiffness was to be desired anyway. The stiff springs will reduce the tendency of swinging left / right on that small gauge in combination with the high position of the driver. Found that more comfortably and safer when riding on the tender!
The tender body will rest at a 3 - point basis on the 2 trucks to better override uneven track.
Thank you for your interest!
Best regards
Asteamhead
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks! I was curious why you chose the scale features. I have no experience with springs of this nature but have read many posts in which the builder has chosen to use spacers that diminish spring rigidity.

Continued success in your project.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Asteamhead wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:56 pm Hello Rwilliams ,

You're right, the Teflon band is used as standard packing for stems. This makes aditional small disks made of brass or bronze mandatory to prevent the Teflon from creeping out of the package :idea:
And yes, the inner disk stops the bonnet,too.
Best regards
Asteamhead
An alternative to PTFE is graphite ribbon tape. Wind it around the shaft and compress it with the packing gland nut.

Will not extrude as PTFE does.

Standard industrial solution for steam valve packing for decades.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

And I continue to find graphite string in the local Ace hardware stores.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

For faucets?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:24 pm For faucets?
Plenty of steam radiators here in Maine, and the graphited string packing is what is used on the shut off valve stems.