1" Baldwin-Westinghouse Class D....Sacramento Northern

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

battleboy

1" Baldwin-Westinghouse Class D....Sacramento Northern

Post by battleboy »

Hello All, I have decided to build two 1 inch scale Baldwin Westinghouse interurban Class D locomotives. I believe the build will be fairly straightforward due to the built-up trucks. The pantograph does worry me though. First a brief history about the Sacramento Northern Railroad. Between 1918 and 1927, the SN purchased five standard Baldwin-Westinghouse steeple cab locomotives. Over approximately the same time span, the railroad bought six comparable GE steeple cabs. In fact, purchases alternated between the two builders without any apparent preferences. When one adds in the four Baldwins originally owned by the Oakland, Antioch & Eastern, and the final GE steeple cab purchased used from the Tidewater Southern, the SN's final total was nine Baldwins versus seven GEs.
In 1918 the newly-organized Sacramento Northern Railroad turned to the major builders for "off-the-shelf" locomotives. The first was 62-ton 1030 (later SNRY 430) from General Electric. It was followed by Baldwin-Westinghouse 1040 (later SNRY 440) which weighed 107,100 pounds (final weight). The Baldwin was driven by four Westinghouse 562 motors rated for a total of 400 horsepower. The locomotive could pull just 950 tons between Sacramento and Chico, versus the GE's 1,300 tons. It was equipped with third rail shoes and two trolley poles. Pantographs were still several years in the future.
Up through the 1920 purchase, the SNRR had owned only 600-volt motors. By 1923 the line was firmly under the control of the Western Pacific, and the new owners already coveted the 1200-volt San Francisco-Sacramento Railroad. When two more GE steeple cabs arrived on the SNRR that year, they were 600/1200 dual-voltage motors. From that point on, all new factory-built locomotives for the SNRR, and later for the SNRY, were dual-voltage for maximum flexibility.
The SNRY went back to Baldwin in 1927 for 1060 and 1061 (later SNRY 660 and 661), the last Baldwins added to the roster. These were also Class D machines, though perhaps on steroids, since their weight and horsepower were near the top of the Class D ratings. Their final weights are listed at 137,300 and 137,650 pounds respectively, but their length over end plates was still a standard 34' 4". Four Westinghouse 583 motors churned out 1,000 horsepower, and the locomotives were rated for 1,650 tons on level track.
The Baldwin-Westinghouse machines gave good service, all lasting for 30 or more years. Their demise was at first, a clearing out of unneeded older power as electric operation wound down. By the time electrified trackage had shrunk to just the Marysville-Yuba City section in 1957, three locomotives were all that were needed (one in use, one spare, and one for parts). There were just two Baldwins left by then, so the GE motors survived by default. Sadly, no SN Baldwin-Westinghouse locomotives lasted long enough to be preserved.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
battleboy

Re: 1" Baldwin-Westinghouse Class D....Sacramento Northern

Post by battleboy »

Machining the pedestals from 6061 "U" channel. The tab sticking out is .75" for the journal boxes.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
battleboy

Post by battleboy »

Time to layout & drill the 192 #30 clearance holes for the 5-40 model bolts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

We are building seven Baldwin electrics now in 1-1/2 scale. CNC milled journals, tuck bolsters and gear box bodies and covers. Cast iron spoked wheels and CNC turned tires.

I've never seen these engines in 1" scale. You are doing a beautiful job so far.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
battleboy

Post by battleboy »

Thank you Gary. I must say yours are coming along quite nicely also. Are yours based off of the old Mercer design? We have one at the New Jersey Live Steamers and it is a fun unique locomotive to ride behind. They're probably hasn't been one made in 1" scale but I think it will be nice to pull around my string of cars with without dragging out the steamer. Specially for night runs and others to operate. Tom
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Very nice. I will subscribe, as it might be nice to have a side/distraction project from time to time... And the trucks look very simple to build.

-Mike
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

battleboy wrote:Thank you Gary. I must say yours are coming along quite nicely also. Are yours based off of the old Mercer design? We have one at the New Jersey Live Steamers and it is a fun unique locomotive to ride behind. They're probably hasn't been one made in 1" scale but I think it will be nice to pull around my string of cars with without dragging out the steamer. Specially for night runs and others to operate. Tom
Hi Tom,

These engines are based on Los Angeles Live Steamers project back in 1983-85. I built one of the original "25" out of that project and it has been a great engine....running it for over 30 years now! The seven we are building now (in the photo) are based on my original after we drew up drawings in cad. That's how we can do everything including the sheet metal cabs and roofs. The seven are now completed and running. Just need to finish the details and paint.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
battleboy

Post by battleboy »

Someone had a beautiful set at TM last year. Anyone recognize the owner/engines?
Attachments
image.jpg
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
battleboy

Post by battleboy »

Progress...
Attachments
192 clearance holes drilled.
192 clearance holes drilled.
Folded in half to get exact duplicate of equalizer bar.
Folded in half to get exact duplicate of equalizer bar.
Paper template.
Paper template.
Sheet metal template.
Sheet metal template.
1" L.E. Pacific
1” F-7’s
3/4" F-3's
1.5" GP7 “Lackawanna”
1.5” LE Atlantic
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

battleboy wrote:Someone had a beautiful set at TM last year. Anyone recognize the owner/engines?
I've spent many hours driving those. That's Mike Mattioda, the current owner in the photo. He's on here as LasVegasFan or something like that. The engines were built by Richard and John Croll circa 1981 as part of the original West Valley Live Steamers project. I know Mike's remotored them once, and maybe twice - they were struggling at the Triennial but he was pulling a big train, 10-12 cars.
John Brock
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

How's this guy coming along???
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Actually the first batch of the Baldwin electrics was built in the San Francisco Bay area. I think there were 29 in that first batch. Later Lou Soibleman thought it would be a good idea for LALS members to do the same thing. A group was formed with great enthusiasum. Richard Wedman was one of the few that kept at it. Many were eventually completed. Jim Baker has two of them.
Cary