Kombrink's American

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Kombrink's American

Post by Pipescs »

So...

The cylinder Cocks were a complete success. No more oil and water out the stack on leaving the firing bays.

The EE injector works as advertised. After no problems on three runs, it would not pick up on the last run of the day. The injector was hot to the touch and steam was coming out the water exhaust continuously. Everyone told me it was probably a bad boiler check valve but it would turn out to be the steam valve at the turret. It picked up a bur somehow and would not seal right. I replaced it with on from Blackgate's in England. I actually ordered three to have two spares in the future. Will try to re do the seat on the bad one.

The CO2 brakes were not successful. While they worked, they still used the gas too fast along with the fact that it only ran out when heading down a steep hill.

There was also the instance when the bottle became over heated when the car was out in the sun and the blow out disk on the bottle let go. Quite a show and noise. It seemed to impress everyone at that point.

I finished the season installing a Tom Bee compressor tank and battery to replace the CO2. I added an extra reservoir and a Tom Bee brake valve on the front of the tender. I then ran lines from the Box Car to and from the brake valve. This gave me a much more controllable flow of air to the brake cylinder.

The last run of the year was at Mid South. Much more enjoyable with brakes.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I mentioned the brakes going out on a hill. I should have stipulated the hill was at the Canton GA. track.

Actually I am very proud of the fact that the American made it to the top twice. Coming down was a rush.

This was the first time out with the full string of cars.

IMG_0806.JPG
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

much like flying....any one from which you return and walk away from is a good trip.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Bill Shields » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:59 am
much like flying....any one from which you return and walk away from is a good trip.
Very True also in the sense that every time you fly you discover something on the plane that needs to be fixed.

Real Aircraft or Models for that matter.

One thing nice about live steam is that every time you run, you have something to fix for the next week.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice looking train! And still on the rails...
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

In trying to add a little class to the American I have found a small print file for an old man. I blew the file up to 1.5 inch to the foot scale.

This is the results. I am building a small crate to put under him and will attach him to the back of the caboose.
Old Man.jpg
Old Man 2.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Awesome. We lack figures in our scale.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Greg:
Use mice.
RussN
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I will be more than glad to send the STL format file to anyone that would like to use it. It can be scaled to the size you need it. The file is for a 2 inch figure but scales up nicely
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

NP317 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:50 am Greg:
Use mice.
RussN
:lol: :lol: Got two more last night.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I like your printed man. I can see many more such good items appearing. They really add to the scale appearance of our trains.

Remembering when Matell Corp had Barbie Doll ditch Ken Doll and get a new boyfriend,
I read that someone videoed Barbie engineering a 1.5" scale diesel locomotive and motoring over Ken, cutting him in half!
Anyone know if true, and is so where it might be found?
Or just doll-sized urban legend.

If not true, Captain Picard might suggest: "Make it so!"
RussN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Many years ago a friend adapted a Barbie to serve as engineer on his 1-1/2" scale Mike. He always referred to the engineer as a Barbie that had had a sex change operation.

Ideal (I think) made a series of character dolls around the 1970. They included Jed Clampett, Ellie Mae, Jethro, Maverick, and James West and are very close to 1-12" scale. I found several on Ebay years ago and have them spirited away.

I like your old man model, but can't figure out where I would put him. With 3D printing someone with a lot of patience could populate a passenger car with passengers. By mixing and matching body parts and heads and sticking them together and using different paint schemes, one could cut the number of actual unique models to just a few.

For someone with a lot more free time than I have, I've seen a Youtube video that gives information on 3D scanning and using free software to creating a 3D model which can then be printed.