no power g0619 grizzly (seig sx3)

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nitrotwin

no power g0619 grizzly (seig sx3)

Post by nitrotwin »

:?: I have a G0619 mill. I went out to the shop, and no electrical power. The small green light on the front lights up when I turn the main switch on, but nothing else comes on. I was wondering how to trouble shoot this and find out which component is bad. I have very little knowledge of the electrical system other than a motor, a speed controller, and ,a front control panel. I have jumped the emergency cut off and checked the chip door switch, and plugged into another outlet.There has been no smoke or smell of smoke. I am going to look at the fuse in the speed controller next. Thanks for any help I receive.
hammermill

Re: no power g0619 grizzly (seig sx3)

Post by hammermill »

Before tearing everything apart, lets look at the electrical diagram

Its here:
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0619_m.pdf

The first suspects are the chip guard safety switch, the rack handle taping switch, and the 20 amp fuse in line and the circuit board fuse.

Do not jump fuses. If they are blown, it will cause more damage, and burn up circuit traces. Replace them with a new fuse, and tape the spares inside the cover.
also a tie wrap around a fuse makes them easier to replace.

Good protocol on a web site is not to double post a question . :)
nitrotwin

Post by nitrotwin »

I have checked both fuses. I have a yellow light that comes on that is on the speed controller. I see no damage or burnt marks on anything (I deleted the other post sorry) I reseated the XMT control board on to the XMT driver board and all is good thanks for the help
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

keep a copy of the grizley manual handy they realy did a good job on providing info glad to hear you are up and running
WalterD

Post by WalterD »

I have a grizzly g0619 that is experiencing a strange power issue.
The mill will turn on then turn off again randomly over and over again. I checked both fuses and they are fine. I can even run the motor and adjust the speed while there is power but within a few seconds the power will drop out again then it will immediately turn back on and the controller will be reset to default power on speed. So the VFD is having its power taken away for some reason. Any ideas where to look? The two boards on the back do not show any visible sign of damage. All the caps and varistors are visibly intact. The emergency stop button actuated the relay. I’m not sure where to start the search for this issue. Has anyone come across this before?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I would use a Volt meter to try to find where the power is being interrupted.
Start at physically active items first like mechanical switches.
~RN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

One thing that may be the problem is a bad solder connection. If that's the cause, you may be able to see it visually (I've had this problem, but with other equipment), so take a close look at all solder joints involved. A broken or bad connection will likely look dirty, due to the sparking that is involved in the make and break of the connection. All I had to do was flux and reheat. Done. Worked like a champ.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
fenichel

Post by fenichel »

I had an SX3 for a while, and every once in a while it would fail to start. It turned out that the membrane buttons on the control panel had to be _just_ the right distance from the PCB behind the panel, and the PCB had somehow crept away. Take the control panel off, and you'll see that there are 4 (I think) machine screws that determine the spacing. Tweak them.