Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

housedad

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by housedad »

Bridgeport Series II Special. 11" x 58" made in 1981

http://www.thebionicuniverse.com/about-the-monster/
Attachments
DSC_0489_resize.JPG
DSC_0520_resize.JPG
Chief bottle washer.
It's a tricky job when all you have is a garden hose, a Bridgeport, and a plasma cutter.

Bridgeport Series II Special. QC30 spindle
Enco 12 x 36 lathe
spro

Post by spro »

It is really cool that you got even more machine than you could have. Its a beaut. Man, we like when things come together after long searches.
JackF

Post by JackF »

Holy cow, What a great find. :D The wait was well worth it. :wink: :) Be sure to keep us up on the projects for the mill.

Jack.
housedad

Post by housedad »

Thanks. Naturally, I'm thrilled with the Monster. It was the perfect machine for me at the perfect time.
Chief bottle washer.
It's a tricky job when all you have is a garden hose, a Bridgeport, and a plasma cutter.

Bridgeport Series II Special. QC30 spindle
Enco 12 x 36 lathe
Patio

Post by Patio »

Gotta love it when a plan comes together.
Nice machine!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

Any interest in antiques here?
Attachments
1850's New Haven Iron Planer.jpg
1913 B&S.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Yes! Cool machines. That planer looks like a good useable size. Is the belt shift worked out?
The mill looks so much like a Hendey Norton 1 1/2 universal but others were similar. The vertical head appears to be a Rusnok ST and it looks like... you have the proper universal dividing head for spiral milling. So yes, there is some interest. :D
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

The planer is 24" x 5' and needing a table re-do. It's a huge table that I'd like to use for layouts, but it has a few lumps that make the layout lines not meet at the ends..! The planer works fine, I ran a 6 week job on it last summer and found all the quirks in both it and me. Last fall I overhauled the clapper and plan on on fixing the feed mechanism soon (a 100 year old repair is failing). Then I'll think about doing the table. The belt is 1-1/4" wide (1-1/2" ?), about 10 feet long and glued. $100 belt. 2HP motor. I've attached another picture of the planer actually doing something.

You're close about the mill - It's a #1-1/2 alright, but a Brown & Sharpe. Pretty good shape, I can hit a thou with it. More or less.

I'd rather run the planer for flat work though. It's somewhat slower but runs without hassle - I have a bell mounted on it to wake me up between passes. No cutting oil or expensive cutters needed. It might do 1/2 cu in per minute removal rate in 1018.

Here's another oldie. It's a 16" Lutter & Gies, later to become The Milwaukee Shaper.
Attachments
1909 Lutter & Gies.JPG
snapshot68.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Wow. Thanks for the pics. A friend has a Brown & Sharpe #2 Universal and I almost said that. His motor mounts at the base yet it is similar age with the single OA. I also get a little confused about the dividing head mount on B&S.
more to say later..
spro

Post by spro »

Back again and that L & G shaper looks fine too ( never seen another). It is great you have both restored and actually use them. I know that I don't fawn over newer mills the same, even though they are more practical for most things. There is a certain spot of knowledge before and appreciation of the engineering and capacity. Serious RPC too.
Sunset Machine

Post by Sunset Machine »

One more of the mill with the dividing head mounted. For spiral work they mount right over the leadscrew and the table is swiveled after the cutter is centered.
Attachments
B&S Universal.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Your picture shows what we were mentioning. In theory, a universal head could be driven from either side of the table. The ones which came with or ordered for , drove from the left or right according to the manufacturer. The change gears and fixture mounted on one side. That side always presented the index plate and controls forward. Now here it gets fuzzy and please forgive. I thought Brown & Sharpe and Cincinnati drove from the right. Hendy and others drove from the left but it seems there was a change I'm unfamiliar. There are "banjo" (real term) fixtures meant to be attached at only one side of the mill table. They allowed for a multiple of change gears for reduction of the 1:1 (or other) feed shaft ratio to table traverse. So we maybe talk about this.