Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jtrain

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by Jtrain »

MikeA wrote:OK, but no laughing! Comparing my milling machine to the heavy metal is a bit difficult - your vise probably weighs as much as my machine!

But...it fits into the area I have and handles anything I want it to do. A 'vintage' (euphemism for really old) early 1940s' Benchmaster MV1 I bought last year in rather poor condition and restored.

I considered what machine would work in my situation and it was either a small Chinese mill or the Benchmaster. As most of you probably know, these were made in California from the 40's through perhaps the 60's and aren't readily available but highly regarded for their capabilities. I'm pleased with mine.

Best,
Mike
I got a Benchmaster vertical mill also, in February this year, really nice machine. But mine is the production model. I would sure like to find a lead screw kit, or parts of, to convert it.
John
MikeA

Post by MikeA »

Hello John,

Congratulations on finding your Benchmaster - they are hard to find (at least in the Northeast and Midwest).

Mine is the MV1 and truth be told, I'm just learning how to use a mill and think this one is ideal for me, both in capability and simplicity. Not a lot of bells and whistles but does the job in three axes.

Can't help you with the lead screw and as you probably already know, parts for these aren't very common on fleaBay. I know a couple of guys who bought a second machine for parts.

Best,
Mike
Better is the enemy of good enough!
spro

Post by spro »

Neat machines guys. Someday I'll show you my stuff which is a tad older. XXXXX is sorta set up now and having a property sticker and annual inspection and taxes on a mill is right around a corner only libs would appreciate. Nice equipment and a really nice person and more than that, a creator of and repairer of instuments.
Some observation is that the Benchmaster be a Clausing and be either #8520 or 8525. This could be serious in spindle ways as the 1st was Morse2 and the other B&S 7. These are very close tapers. A look up the nose can tell a story.
The fellow with the Millrite didn't say he bagged it for 500.00 and even if he did it's none of my biz. I trust he gave near what they asked or a fair price and took back a well preserved machine. You'll note it had a "riser block" and the previous gent's fingerprints are probably all in it. I think that often we focuss too much on initial price and don't really know what we are presented with. Often a culmulation of a fellow's working life around machinery and production has nothing to do with that at home. In order to preserve peace, sanctity and order there is a barrier. The guy who could make anything has to stand in line like any other. Then comes a time,later when the opportunity arose. To Own one of them.
Imagine, before our dialogues here the circumstances, the phone calls and pamphlets. The arguements at home.
Then our fine person kicks off, bites it, loses it someway. Happened over and over. i said machines, oh yes milling machines too.
So at the end of this to low-ball the widow or family is to insult the same passion we hold.
kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Fadal VMV15 CNC in route to the shop.
Also Enco Vertical, Fadal TRM, and Bridgeport CNC
retrofitted with an AHHA kit.
Kap
Attachments
102547.jpg
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
2lanemotorsports

Post by 2lanemotorsports »

my sharp "first"

Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

2lanemotorsports wrote:my sharp "first"

Can't help but notice the base. Is that 2 tone paint, stains or :?:
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
2lanemotorsports

Post by 2lanemotorsports »

the black at the bottem is some kind of coating
Marty_Escarcega wrote:
2lanemotorsports wrote:my sharp "first"

Can't help but notice the base. Is that 2 tone paint, stains or :?:
Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Steve Seebold wrote:My Dyna-Mites. I got the first one about a year ago, then I got the second one about 6 months ago. They are small, but I have fun with them. Their travel is only 6.2 in. in X, 5.0 in Y and 4.0 in Z, and they have a rip snortin 1/2 HP 10,000 RPM spindle. They RAPID at a screaming 30 IPM. Like I said, I'm in no hurry.
Copy of DSCF0015.gif
Well, I did it. I got them both set up in my garage, and now my wife wants me to move them somewhere else. Somehow, I knew that would happen. She just doesn't like any part of machining. She says it's too dirty. DUH! Chips on the floor means money in the bank.

I just can't win.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Steve Seebold wrote:Well, I did it. I got them both set up in my garage, and now my wife wants me to move them somewhere else. Somehow, I knew that would happen. She just doesn't like any part of machining. She says it's too dirty. DUH! Chips on the floor means money in the bank.

I just can't win.
Sad, really.
By sharp contrast, my wife encouraged me to buy the Haas mill, secure in the knowledge that it won't make us a dime. She has a soul. Not all people do.

Harold
AllThumbz

Post by AllThumbz »

Steve Seebold wrote:
Steve Seebold wrote:My Dyna-Mites. I got the first one about a year ago, then I got the second one about 6 months ago. They are small, but I have fun with them. Their travel is only 6.2 in. in X, 5.0 in Y and 4.0 in Z, and they have a rip snortin 1/2 HP 10,000 RPM spindle. They RAPID at a screaming 30 IPM. Like I said, I'm in no hurry.
Copy of DSCF0015.gif
Well, I did it. I got them both set up in my garage, and now my wife wants me to move them somewhere else. Somehow, I knew that would happen. She just doesn't like any part of machining. She says it's too dirty. DUH! Chips on the floor means money in the bank.

I just can't win.
Steve:

I have zambus casters on my machines, which allows them to move even when they are 1000 pounds or more. My Southbend 10L is on them, and it rolls quite easily.

There are several sources for these casters and they go under a few brand names, though I bought mine from http://www.zambus.com.

You might want to see if they can be used on your stuff, so that it can be rolled from one spot to another to make her happy. Just a thought.

Best,

Nelson
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

One you've never seen........ A Lewis horizontal (I also have a vertical head for it

Mid Day Machining

Post by Mid Day Machining »

Harold_V wrote:
Steve Seebold wrote:Well, I did it. I got them both set up in my garage, and now my wife wants me to move them somewhere else. Somehow, I knew that would happen. She just doesn't like any part of machining. She says it's too dirty. DUH! Chips on the floor means money in the bank.

I just can't win.
Sad, really.
By sharp contrast, my wife encouraged me to buy the Haas mill, secure in the knowledge that it won't make us a dime. She has a soul. Not all people do.

Harold
My wife has this crazy idea that a garage is for the car, not for the shop.
You can buy good parts, or you can buy cheap parts, but you can't buy good cheap parts.