Horizontal Mill Arbor Ideas

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Alan

Horizontal Mill Arbor Ideas

Post by Alan »

I have a horizontal mill (Harrison) which has a nearly cactus arbor, Int 30 drive taper, 1 inch diameter by 12 inches long. with a 1/4" keyway. The cost of a replacement is nearly out of this world over A$700. Here's the idea, as I have an Int 30 to ER32 collet holder for my vertical mill with a max size of 3/4" I could turn down the 1" arbor on one end to fit into the ER32 collet, put a collar on the arbor so that the cutter and spacers dont push against the ER32 holder. Question, would the ER32 collet have enough holding power to drive the cutter, I typically use 1/2 to 1" wide side / face cutters on mid steel. This is in home shop so not being pushed for removal rate. Motor is 2 HP through geared head. Any ides comments appreciated. TIA.
vmil3

Re: Horizontal Mill Arbor Ideas

Post by vmil3 »

Hi Alan,
What we have done when using multiple cutters (gang) milling, and not wanting to disturbe the setup of the cutters, is to make an arbor with a shoulder built in, the other end is machined to a standard "Weldon shank holder", shank size (eg. 1" dia.) we then milled the flat for the set screw, this gives you the positive drive. In our set up the length of cut is 3" long, we have had no problems with this set up.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Alan,

I have a CENTEC Automil which is about the same size horizontal as your Harrison (1ES ???) at 9" x 32". I bought an Int 30 / 1 inch dia. / about 10 inch long arbor from MSC (in USA) for about US$100. It was made in Poland. Company name is TOOLMEX which brands some of it's stuff BISON. Quality is very good. Drawbar thread is UNC rather than Whit or metric.

Your key size sounds a bit large though. I'll measure mine when I get home.

http://toolmex.com/

Try to find a Toolmex distributor down-under. Worst case - order from USA.
Regards
Dean Buck
John_Stevenson

Post by John_Stevenson »

Alan,
What about turning a new arbor up?
Commercial ones are usually hardened and ground but there is no reason why a new arbor cannot be turned up from a piece of decent steel.
It's a relatively straight forward job.
I have some special cutters on 5/8" and 3/4" bores and I've machined two arbors up similar to yours but with NMTB 40 taper. Simple enough job, no pitfalls and they work as good as a comercial unit.

John S.
itspcb

Post by itspcb »

Dean, Would it be possible to show a pic of your Centec Automill?

Peter B
uk
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks for your assistance so far guys, a number of things to consider now. Have measured the keyway and on the arbor I have & its 1/4 inch. No major problem turning up a new arbor John, just looking for an easier way without making heaps of swaf, but maybe I'll end up there anyway if I can't find one at a reasonable price, looking into the toolmex suggestion. Thanks.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Peter,

I have pictures of it when I bought it. I'm having trouble attaching them.

Dean
dbuck

Post by dbuck »

Peter,

I have attached a jpg of the Centec Automil
This was when I purchased it.
I had to repaint the column and am now reassembling the major components.
Hope this works.

regards
Dean Buck
willbleeker

Post by willbleeker »

Alan
Get on the phone and ring Mick Moyle in Sydney 02 97998444 he has amost anything you could want at the right price his address is 40 Edward Street Summer Hill, 2130 NSW he also has a website listed on his business card I haven't looked at it the address is www.moyles.com.au
Will