milling machine motor

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

brent

milling machine motor

Post by brent »

just wondering--- was looking at my step belt drive import mill,it looks like the motor has a offset end on it rather than a flat flange like a"D or C" flange motor. probably a "gotcha" so you can`t buy a generic D flange motor as a replacement? opinions please !! brent
mbensema

Re: milling machine motor

Post by mbensema »

Metric motors sometimes have what you are describing. Baldor has an IEC size table that might give you a better idea of the type if it is metric. http://www.baldor.com/support/product_specs.asp

From the proprietary department, I have a Delta table top drill press that has a NEMA 56 foot mount frame motor, but with a 14mm shaft. Try and find that one!
JimH

Post by JimH »

Also watch out for a metric size output shaft on your import. I had to make a sleave to adapt the existing pulley on my mill to a new, American motor.
brent

Post by brent »

it is definitly a metric motor. what seems peculier to me is the end flange of the motor ( that attaches to the top of the head casting) is not flush with the bearing. the shaft would be too short if the flange was flush-- brent