Brown & Sharpe Vertical Mill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

aaron

Brown & Sharpe Vertical Mill

Post by aaron »

I have been using a 1919 #2 vertical mill for about 8 months. It takes the B&S 21 spring collets in the spindle. I just noticed that the collets load into an intermediate "holder"...would this be a 50 taper? What ever it is, its bigger than a 40. There is no drawbar, so it would apear to be held by fit alone. Does anybody know about these features on this machine? If it is something like a 50 taper tool holder, I am also seeking advice on its removal for mounting larger cutters.
sandman2234

Re: Brown & Sharpe Vertical Mill

Post by sandman2234 »

Not familiar with that particular machine, but I would be willing to bet it isn't a 40 or a 50 taper. Probably more on the lines of a B&S taper....
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
aaron

Post by aaron »

Does anybody know what year they standardized tapers?
David_Brown

Early twenties, as I recall. No Message

Post by David_Brown »

Bill_Cook

Post by Bill_Cook »

aaron

Shouldn't have too much trouble getting 21collets. They've been used in B&S screw machines.
In the B&S handscrews I have, they sit in a sleeve that slides inside the spindle toward the nose cap to close the collet.(A little useless info)
As for the "holder", a 50 or other 3.5"/foot taper needs to be held in - normally with a drawbar.
The B&S tapers @ .5"/foot, are self holding, and were used in most domestic mills around that time.

bc
BC

If there was only one way to do each machining job, the smell of sulphurized cutting oil smoke would have fewer fond memories.
Lou

Post by Lou »

I have a "Advanced Machine Work" book, Copyright 1910 tru 1930 that show a drawing of a milling arbor that is B&S taper and is tang driven. Maybe someone has made an adaptor (B&S taper, tang driven to #21 collet) for this machine.

Hope this is some help.

Lou