Indexing or dividing

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Bruce @ Aus

Indexing or dividing

Post by Bruce @ Aus »

I have a Taiwanese verticle milling machine -very happy with it and seems to be suitable for my hobby work.
I would now like to know if vertex 5 inch dividing head would be OK. I have been told a 4 inch is a bit small for doing most jobs.
Also, what is the difference between a dividing head and an indexing head.
The vertex 5 inch is quite large --will I still have enough "head" room for doing most small jobs.
Your experience is appreciated

bruce.
davestea

Re: Indexing or dividing

Post by davestea »

-
you don't tell us anything about the size of your mill so there is no way to know. I have a small "bench mill" with a knee - sits on a 2" stand and is 6' tall - I use a 6" rotary table on that.

4" is small - but it depends on your mill.

I use a 4" on my Smithy all the time with lots of room - the 6" would work well too.
Dave
Smithy 3in1, Select Mill, Atlas 6" lathe
Bruce@ Aus

Post by Bruce@ Aus »

Thanks Dave., It's around the same size as your's. 12 speed belt driven with 730 X 210 mm table. 2 hp. motor and 480mm spindle to table clearence.

Hope this helps ---just don't want to spend lots of money buying the wrong fitting !!.

Thanks

bruce
John_Stevenson

Post by John_Stevenson »

Bruce,
The 5" Vertex unit sounds about ideal size for your machine.
The difference between a dividing head and an indexer is that usually the dividing head is able to tilt from about 10 degrees below the horizontal to a vertical position. Dividing heads also usually have a simple indexing arangement on them comprising of a disk with holes in and a lock peg. 24 divisions is the norm. Last but not least dividing heads have a series of plates with holes in that allow you to divide a circle into many different divisions including prime numbers up to 40.

An indexing head OTOH usually has a fixed horizontal spindle and a means of indexing round a disk with holes in. No provision for tilt and no provision to index round any other number of division other than what the supplied disk allows.

John S.
Will Bleeker

Post by Will Bleeker »

Bruce,
Your mill sounds like an RF30 (that is if you are in OZ as your name implies) if it is I can tell you that the 5"Vertex will work fine as I have the same.You may run a bit short of room if you have the head tilted vertically and have long tooling but for all other work it will be fine and if you ever buy a bigger mill it will suit it as well.
Have Fun Will Bleeker