Help with milling head lube.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

FLPR@juno.com

Help with milling head lube.

Post by FLPR@juno.com »

I have a small milling head, similar to an Enco FB-2E, that I bought on ebay. It appears to be set-up for fluid lubrication. I have no idea how to set it up. There is no maker's name on it but it is marked as a model HQ-X216. Any help on this thing would be highly appreciated. Thanks, Fred
FLPR@juno.com

Re: Help with milling head lube.

Post by FLPR@juno.com »

This must not be a very well known machine. So far, no replies on three different BBS's. Any info would be helpful, even idf it isn't the same machine. How about the Enco? There should be a few of them around.

Thanks, Fred
mjm

Post by mjm »

Welcome to the club. I bought a pretty clean Acra varispeed mill. The head has three oil cups and a grease fitting. I was happy when I found that the Acra guys in LA would sell me a copy of the manual for the thing ( late 80's );

Great, until I saw that the copy had nothing but arrows pointing to the lube points and didn't bloddy tell me what to use. I called Acra again and the guy there was pretty good - he asked his mechanic what he uses.

Oil - Mobil DTE light,
grease - standard light brown stuff from an auto store - I think Lithium.

Mildly frustrating. I figure I'll pull the grease fitting and try to identify the stuff myself before I add more. Looks like Enco carries the oil in small quantities. I called a local guy who offers small drums [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/blush.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Mike
That government which governs least, governs best -Thomas Jefferson

Emco Super11, Acra 9x42 VS
FLPR@juno.com

Post by FLPR@juno.com »

The Doc let me off crutches the other day and I have finally been able to get out in the garage and move the head into better light. Maybe the reason I am getting no info on this thing is that the model # is HQ-XZ16, not HQ-X216. There is also a sticker with the letters C E on it. Thanks, Fred
mjm

Post by mjm »

Gosh what a coincidence. I have another week and a half to go before I can crawl around in the attic and wire up my "new" machine. Ended my skiing season a bit ahead of schedule and got a fracture in my knee. Hardly painful at all but a fracture nonetheless and requiring crutches for 6 -8 weeks. No cast, no brace just no weight. I swear the crutches have caused 100 times the pain the knee ever did. It pains me to see my machine sitting there ...

Mike
That government which governs least, governs best -Thomas Jefferson

Emco Super11, Acra 9x42 VS
FLPR@juno.com

Post by FLPR@juno.com »

Thanks for the replys. I got one on another board that had a web site for this model number. It turned out to be made in South Korea and I got a set of specs for it. Currently have an email request in to the manufacturer for info on lubrication.