Sandvik milling insert numbers

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mikechoochoo

Sandvik milling insert numbers

Post by mikechoochoo »

It seems that the ANSI and the ISO use sandvik’s numbers rather than a universal system. I’m a novice home machinist and picked up a Sandvik insert milling cutter. What I found out is that it takes a 390-11 insert, But how do I find other brand inserts that fit, and how to tell if an insert would fit and work well, and also how do I tell if a Sandvik insert would be good to use on steel. Because ISO and ANSI use Sandvik numbers, a search ranks their products first. Also is there a code in a Sandvik part number.
M. Nix
LIALLEGHENY

Re: Sandvik milling insert numbers

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Contact Sandvik and ask them what type of inserts fit your mill, they will have all the info you need. I believe the equivalent is an APKT style insert that many other manufacturers make.
I was just complaining today about the lack of an industry standard when it comes to inserts , whether it be for turning or milling, grooving, cutoff etc. Every manufacturer assigns their own number/code to the holders and the designations on the inserts will drive you mad. It is only getting worse by the year. Not to mention the fact that they are continually coming out with new mills/ holders/inserts and once the old stock has been discontinued getting the info you need becomes problematic. Not much different than computers....within a couple of years they are obsolete.

Nyle
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks for those comments, Nyle. I've been away from the industry so long I thought it was just that I had forgotten most of what I learned those many years ago, but now I'm seeing that it's not that so much as an ever-changing method of describing inserts and holders. I feel a little better about my ignorance.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I believe you will find that Sandvik R390 milling inserts are proprietary. The dimensions will be slightly different that any "generic" insert such as an APKT.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!