Less than full size mill suggestions

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Less than full size mill suggestions

Post by Harold_V »

rklopp wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:48 pm Looks like a Van Norman.
That's what entered my mind, too, but I'm not aware of VN making a machine that small.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:58 am ...I'm not aware of VN making a machine that small.
They made really tiny ones:
VanNorman.jpg
Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Steve. I was familiar with their larger machines, but even they were found in only one of the shops where I worked, many years ago. They had two models, although I am at a loss to recall which ones.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

Schools get rid of lots of tools like Lathes and Mills
Try those surplus resources or call a local college and ask them .
Here is Wisconsin, we have auctions every two weeks with towns and schools selling their equipment online
Just did a quick search for names and got this and there are more than I mention here
Try
https://surplus.ufl.edu/buy-now/
or Govplanet.com
or https://surplus.ufl.edu/
Or https://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,f ... ?catid=601 ................which happens to have a bandsaw

second Suggestion is Hobby sites like
https://selling.discoverlivesteam.com/m ... =24&page=1

Rich
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I have an old Van Norman full size Hand Miller. It came out of a place that rebuilt electric motors, I paid $50 for it. Really in poor shape, probably shouda paid $5!

Rebuilt it, it only had a vertical attachment, the horizontal stuff was missing. In place of the lever, I used a wheel, makes no difference in operation for me.

Don't know what "Hand Miller" means, unless it refers to the fact you have many thousandths of error if you try cut anything!

It is a machine I really did not need, like the 18" Kelly Shaper I also have.

It can be seen on the tale end of this video about a B&S #2 Mill I reconditioned; the mill cost me $500, the DRO for the mill ~ $2k!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-sfBZWdyPA
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

I'm just not finding anything nearby which is less than a full size mill. Most are Bridgeports. So I may have to figure out a way to make one fit.

Is there a document or primer on the different versions of Bridgeports? I've seen "Series I", "Series II", "J head", "M head" and a few others. Prices are all over the place from $1,000 to $7,000.
jwmelvin

Less than full size mill suggestions

Post by jwmelvin »

VelocityDuck wrote: Is there a document or primer on the different versions of Bridgeports? I've seen "Series I", "Series II", "J head", "M head" and a few others.
No doubt there are primers/overviews.

Series 1 is the usual size; series 2 are larger/heavier.

Original head was the M head, most of which have MT2 but can have B&S taper. Limited to 1/2” tool. M heads are manual quill feed.

J head is the step-pulley head with power quill feed.

J2 head changes the step pulleys for mechanical variable speed.

I’m sure I missed plenty.

The ram on the early machines (generally most of the M heads I’ve seen) was a round column, later replaced with dovetail ways for the ram and a separate tilt axis for the head.

Oh here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/page2.html
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If you want small...then you do not want a series 2. I have one from the early 70's and it is huge... But then the table is 4' x 2'

Stay away from the models that have a round horizontal ram.

Do not overlook Wells-Index machines.

I have one and am very happy with it...but it is Bridgeport size plus a little
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Two Unicorns for watch for are the Index Model 40 and the Ames Triplex.

The Index Model 40 is a vertical mill but smaller than a Bridgeport. I passed a nice Bridgeport selling for $1,500 and kept my Model 40 because it was the tallest machine I could get into a basement shop.

The Ames Triplex is bench top size machine that converts from vertical to horizontal (or an angle in between).
Last edited by pat1027 on Thu May 19, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

If you have headroom a Bridgeport or similar full-size mill does not really take up that much more room. I've never been in a crowded elevator where you couldn't swap one snot nosed greasy little kid for an Opera singer and still have a nice ride down. When I bought a freezer I could have gone with the rectangle or smaller cube. I picked the cube and that 4" of floor space is nowhere near as valuable as the 100 cubic inches of frozen space I traded it for.

Whatever that little blue one is on the previous page looks good to me too.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
VelocityDuck

Post by VelocityDuck »

I found this one about 3 hours away. 1978 that was originally at a tech school. $1,600.

But it's in a one car garage and no help loading.

Can this be broken down and loaded by one person with a 1 ton engine hoist?
282796289_4956779811108576_8004509492836946346_n.jpg
RSG

Post by RSG »

Anything's possible if you want it bad enough. There are many ways to hoist something using 4"x4" posts in a tripod with a hoist. Then back the trailer under it each time.
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.