Horizontal Mill arbor from parts

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

Horizontal Mill arbor from parts

Post by earlgo »

In the past I have lamented about having a horizontal mill and no good arbor. Last year I bought a nearly new Polish arbor for the 1 1/4 inch cutters. It turned out to be too long.
18 in arbor.jpg
This year my friend conjured up a cylindrical grinder attachment for his KO Lee grinder and I had the perfect project for it.
I bought a 25mm EM holder on ebay for $35
EM holder.jpg

Then i bought a 1.25 x 12pitch nut from McM-c for $7.60 and modified it with a counter bore, etc.
1_25 x12 nut modified.jpg

My friend had a precision 1.25 shaft that he purchased from McM-C for a project that never came about. He carefully put centers in the ends, threaded it and with his new grinder attachment, ground the ends, one to fit the EM holder and the other to fit the outboard collet on the mill. I made the stop collar and pinned it in place.
Arbor shaft.jpg

Put together it looks like this.
Assembled 1_.25 dia x 12 in long Arbor.jpg
It is now working in this Producto-Matic horizontal mill.
--earlgo
Attachments
new arbor.jpg
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Harold_V

Re: Horizontal Mill arbor from parts

Post by Harold_V »

Well done, earlgo!
There's nothing quite like a horizontal for moving metal.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nice; I also modified a horizontal arbor to fit my machine.

It takes time, but is quite satisfying.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Very nice!!
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!