A bit of help please

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

earlgo

A bit of help please

Post by earlgo »

My friend bought these parts at a garage sale because he can't pass up a bargain. We had a discussion about what they are used for. I think they are milling vise inserts for holding small parts. He wasn't sure. I am sure one of you fellows know exactly what they are called and what their use is.
The thick edge is not perpendicular to the flat face making about a 95° angle with it, so if these are put in a vise with something in between the thin edges the vise jaws will tend to tip and push the part down clamping it firmly to the vise bed or whatever is there.
flat view of inserts
flat view of inserts
flat and end view of inserts.
flat and end view of inserts.
Any help would be appreciated.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
pete

Re: A bit of help please

Post by pete »

There as you thought vise jaw hold downs Earl. In use the angle helps force the parts down and against the parallels. Starrett and I think a few other company's made them. Lufkin and/or B & S maybe? Today with most mill vises being or using some type of Kurt angle-loc design to pull the moving jaw down they might be a bit less important. Still a handy and useful item though. After a quick check apparently Starrett still makes there version. https://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/54A
Technical Ted

Post by Technical Ted »

Yep. I've got a set, but have never used them. They are suppose to be handy for holding thin material in a vise.

Ted
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Thanks Pete. My friend has a new Kurt vise so these may not be too useful as you pointed out.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.