Power feed for mill table

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: Power feed for mill table

Post by pete »

Can you explain why a Servo type power feed won't work?
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

They are made for a Bridgeport. No part of the kit will work on a Rockwell.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Thank you mike....Grizzly G0757Z is just like a Bridgeport when it comes to the mounting.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

I don't know how to open a picture on, but it is attached.
Attachments
IMG_0004.JPG
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Oh !
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I still think you are barking up the wrong tree with all the Bridgeport clone kits. Without some dimensions or at least some better pictures of the OP machine is going to be hard to match it to anything. From all the pictures I see on the web, I think it's going to be closer in size to one of the mill/drill machines than a Bridgeport. Maybe something like a grizzly 0758. That's why I suggested looking at kids for smaller machines. My old mil/drill had a 17mm screw which might be closer to the Rockwell's hdwr.
pete

Post by pete »

Yes your right, they are made for a Bridgeport, that's why adapter parts are required to allow bolting up of the power feed to what you have on your mill. If that old HSM thread link I posted is in fact correct there's no off the shelf bolt on kit to add one to your model of Rockwell mill. So one way or another it has to be adapted to add any power feed. kl17sg's picture proves it can be done. The end of my BP clones X axis screw measures with calipers .623" - .624" and has a .125" key width. So without pulling the power feed bushing on mine, I'd say it's safe to assume it's internal dimension is .625" for a slip fit. Measure the plain end of your feed screw and compare. It's probably a bit smaller, but I don't know that for sure. If so then a new adapter bushing to fit that smaller size would be needed with an O.D. to adapt up to the power feeds supplied OEM parts. I could be wrong, but remembering how mine was mounted I can only visualize two parts that would need to be custom machined to then adapt one to your Rockwell. The second one would be that table bracket that supports the end of the feed screw.

Servo themselves have a full set of mounting instructions on there web site as well as a complete parts diagram. The off shore power feeds or at least mine followed exactly how Servo does it. I'd Google Servo Power Feed Mounting Instructions and compare what they show and figure out how you'd need to adapt your mill parts so it can be done. Yes it's a bit tough to figure out how to do this without one of those power feed kits in front of you. With one and the measurable known dimensions on your mill you have everything needed to then figure out what's required to machine those adapter parts. No this video isn't specifically about your mill, but it shows what was needed to adapt a off shore Servo type power feed to a RF 45 mill. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_gD3NBx2TI&t=580s So it's not that tough, it just needs the parts, a few measuring tools, a sheet of paper and pencil and maybe a fair amount of use with the eraser until it will work. I went a very long time before I got a mill that could use a standard power feed and without doubt it's like going from riding a donkey to driving a Corvette. What ever it takes to add one it's more than worth it. :-)
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Just drive it with a cordless drill……
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

If you note the mounting holes you will see that none of the kits will bolt to my table. Servo has nothing for me! After sending them the same picture they said sorry.

FYI grizzly 0758 has the same mounting as the Bridgeport. I was hoping to find someone with a Rockwell 21-100 with a power drive.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I think you are mistaken about the g0758. The pictures show it being very similar to your Rockwell.
Screenshot_20211021-114538_Chrome.jpg
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Not mistaken I was looking at a Grizzly G0757Z
Attachments
IMG_0006.JPG
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

This is mine.