Brown & Sharpe taper milling arbors

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jerry B

Brown & Sharpe taper milling arbors

Post by Jerry B »

I have an opportunity to buy a horizontal mill. It comes with 1 B&S tapered milling arbor of 1 inch diameter.

My question is: How easy are arbors of different diameters to come by? I checked ebay but saw nothing.

The mill is in excellent condition, power feed in both x and y axis with very little back lash and only a couple of table divets.
I can get it for $500 and the guy will even deliver it to me.
John_Stevenson

Re: Brown & Sharpe taper milling arbors

Post by John_Stevenson »

GO for it, rip his arm off.
Don't worry about an arbor. If it has one with it chances are you go can all the life of the machine with this one arbor.
It's nice on a smaller machine to have the choice of 5/8", 3/4" or 7/8" arbors but it's always possible to machine one up on a lathe.
Standard tooling on mills is 1" anyway.

John S.
Rich_Carlstedt

Post by Rich_Carlstedt »

It's probably a # 9 B & S and they are available from companies like Wholesale Tool ( WT ) in Detroit , at least the last time I looked.
FLPR@juno.com

Post by FLPR@juno.com »

If you set up a favorite search on e-bay you can do it so they e-mail you when your item(s) come up. #9 B & S taper arbors do show up once in a while. I have a mill that uses them and I notice them when they show up. I don't try to buy any since I already have three.
Preston

Post by Preston »

Just sold a 1/2 BS taper arbor on e bay got $5.00 for it. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/confused.gif"%20alt="[/img]