Power Drawbar

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

BClemens

Power Drawbar

Post by BClemens »

Thought I would try this... made two and they work better than I expected. Didn't cost too much since the "butterfly" air impact wrenches are currently on clearance at Harbor Freight ($18.95 ea). The aluminum frame parts (1/4 X 2" flat bar) were machined on the CNC for their contours and fit to the impact with the valve removed - M4 .7mm and same for the valve body. The valve body mount is drilled and tapped for the fittings (1/8 pipe) and used 6mm air line fittings. The columns are 1/2" SS rod and sized for length for the machine and draw-bar exposure above the head-stock. They are a bit time consuming since I have machine work going on but they save a massive amount to time changing tooling.
BC
P.S. Need to slow down a bit when taking these pictures - aperture is much to wide - depth of field is out - finicky.
Attachments
IMG_5654.jpg
IMG_5655.jpg
IMG_5656.jpg
Bill Shields

Re: Power Drawbar

Post by Bill Shields »

How cool is that?

Consider an electric driver?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Electric impact wrench? Actually no I didn't consider electric... Air impacts seem more common and for the small size of this one I'm not so sure an electric one would work as well - but I don't know. Although I have an old Snap-On 1/2" electric impact that works great - another antique - recently had to replace the cord on it...!
BC
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I was also thinking of something similar to the hand held dewalt impact driver.

Use the battery but hook it to a always on charger or use a 110v version

Probably a bear to make a bracket.

This from a guy who does not run his air compressor any more than necessary...but REALLY LIKES your concept..
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I agree about the air compressor - I place mine way far away from where I am. When is blows up or throws a rod it will be all alone to do so... Its a necessary evil because I get too dizzy blowing chips away by mouth - and I do try sometimes..
BC
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I do not like paying the power $ to run it but fully appreciate described failure modes

Use shop vac on chips which keeps them in one place
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:17 pm This from a guy who does not run his air compressor any more than necessary...
Heh! Different strokes!
My air compressor, a three phase five horse Quincy, resides in its own room in the shop, so I don't have to listen to it run. It is piped not only throughout the shop, but to the house as well as my pump shed and storage containers. I can't remember the last time I turned it off. My air system is quite tight. The compressor runs occasionally, but not enough to be of concern. I'd be lost without compressed air.

It's been real handy having air in the house. I used it often when I was doing projects related to finishing. It still gets the occasional use.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It seems like a lot of work and expense to save a few seconds with each tool change.
Do you change tools often enough to merit it all?

Ok, it's good fun in any case.
J.Ramsey

Post by J.Ramsey »

liveaboard wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:58 pm It seems like a lot of work and expense to save a few seconds with each tool change.
Do you change tools often enough to merit it all?
A few seconds………HaHa,try 2-3 minutes on a full size mill.
1.Place 3 step stepstool.
2.Get on second step of stool.
3.Apply Brake.
4.Put on Wrench on Drawbar and loosen a couple threads.
5.Hit Drawbar with suitable Hammer.
6.Finish unscrewing Drawbar.
7.Remove Collet or Tool holder.
8.Insert new Collet or Tool holder and thread Drawbar in.
9. Apply Brake and tighten Drawbar.
10.Get down from step stool.
Do this 20 to 40 times a day.
Short video I made of mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRsA7QLVZWw
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

ok, if you have to change your tools that often, it makes sense.
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

I finally broke down two years ago when I just could not reach any longer with bad back and arthritis. Up and down a step stool was just as bad. Purchased one from H & W, should have done five years earlier. Took about two hours to get everything on. Now its fun to run the mill again. I now change tooling to match the job rather than trying to get by with the cutter in the machine. Real funny thing is my wife had been telling me to get one for a very long time after she watched change tooling a few times.

Bob
Profkanz

Post by Profkanz »

I need to figure out how to mount one on my mill/drill. Anybody done this?