power feeds for a mill drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

power feeds for a mill drill

Post by Lewayne »

In looking at x axis power feeds for my Chinese mill/drill there are units that mount on the right or left side of the table. The right hand ones are much cheaper than the left hand units. Is one considered better than the other for some reason?
Mill 7.jpg

The left hand one would appear to be better placement because I don't even have a hand wheel for that side.
armscor 1

Re: power feeds for a mill drill

Post by armscor 1 »

I have mine clamped by two bolts on the left side of the table, very handy because I am right handed.
The first unit I installed was too slow in rapid feed so I purchased another model and all good.
Repurposed the original and made a welding positioner with it.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

I suppose maybe it's due to a lot of stuff for smaller machines being based on stuff for bigger machines and big machines often have the power feed on the right, but they also retain a ball crank on that end. The power feed for the smaller machines usually replace the crank. Seems like a lot of dedicated cnc conversions also put the drive on the right end, so maybe it's because of that. I was going to retain the left crank on my old machine and still stick the power feed there but I sold it before I got around to building the feed.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

The feed is generally located within easy reach of the operating position of the given machine. Considering there's a quill handle, you'd normally operate the machine shown in the picture standing on the right side, so that's where the power feed control would be, too. Not much of an issue if the table is short enough, though. So long as you can reach the controls comfortably, go with what suits you, assuming you don't lose the hand crank. Can't get along without that.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

That makes some sense, if it retains a crank on that end but a lot of the models for this size machine do away with the crank, which seems pretty pointless to me
pete

Post by pete »

My power feed was designed to be used on the tables right hand end and does retain the OEM crank. I'd certainly agree, I'd always want a crank handle at each end. And some of the off shore non BP type power feeds when bolted to the table extend above the tables surface. Another fail for design in my opinion if your ever doing longer work fixtured directly to the table. But a not all that great for design power feed is still a hell of a lot better than not having one at all.
Gary Armitstead

Post by Gary Armitstead »

I just installed a "X" axis power feed on my old Enco mill/drill (41 yrs old) and decided on the Shars unit from Amazon. Because my machine was an old one, the drive prongs on the new gear were not the same as my old mill. I just made a new adapt and it is running just fine. I am right handed, so the feed on my left and the old crank on my right were okay with me. The one drawback with this feed is not being able to retain the crank on both ends.

This unit worked so well, I have decided to add a "Y" axis power feed. I don't know why I waited so long to put power feeds on this mill. I am a 55+ years retired die sinker and used power feeds throughout my career :).
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Thanks guys. I dont even have a left hand hand wheel but could make one if I decide to. But thanks for the input.Heading off to Colorado now for skiing.