Beveling an edge on a piece of plate

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

olddude

Re: Beveling an edge on a piece of plate

Post by olddude »

whateg0 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am If I was making it out of stuff I have on the rack, a couple pieces of 1/2"x4" flat stock and some 3/4" CRS round stock. I would probably tack weld the round stock to the base, then allow the top plate to hinge on it. Tack another piece of 3/4" round to the top at the other end at whatever distance you want to use. Then a sliding clamp on the side to lock it at whatever angle you choose.

sine plate.jpg

Dave
Cool looks like a plan......Thanks!!
olddude

Post by olddude »

whateg0 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am If I was making it out of stuff I have on the rack, a couple pieces of 1/2"x4" flat stock and some 3/4" CRS round stock. I would probably tack weld the round stock to the base, then allow the top plate to hinge on it. Tack another piece of 3/4" round to the top at the other end at whatever distance you want to use. Then a sliding clamp on the side to lock it at whatever angle you choose.

sine plate.jpg

Dave
Sorry Dave but I'm lost again. I have a couple more of these plates to cut and was thinking about making one of these sine plates. I've looked at this drawing and for the life of me I can't figure out exactly how this works. 3/4 round at the top at the other end.......Sliding clamp? It looks pretty cool just can't see from the pic just how it works.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

This is a sine plate.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/08020109

For what you are doing, I wouldn't spend that much for one. A crude approximation that is made with a little care should get you an adjustable version for rough projects. If this is the only thing you need it for, Just weld a couple pieces of flat stock together with some gussets and clamp it to the bed.

Dave