Power Feed limit switch and stops

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

whateg0

Power Feed limit switch and stops

Post by whateg0 »

I've been slowly getting the Newport mill I bought last summer into the shop and operational. I made chips on it for the first time a couple nights ago. There are still a couple things to finish up before I'd call it "up and running", but it is usable in its current state.

I had to repair the Servo power feed. The lever was broken off of the circuit breaker so it couldn't be turned on. The plungers on the switch assembly and the stops were all stuck solid. Now it all functions, though.

Even after freeing it all up, the plungers on the stops bind and the springs are so tight to the stem that they don't move smoothly even when they do break free. Also, I think it looks bad having the cord for the limit switch draped across the front of the saddle. I could find a way to affix it to the saddle so it isn't draped there, but I still think it's a bad idea. So I plan to move it to the end of the table and use a bar across the front of the table with stops that will activate the switches. But, I was curious to see if anybody had other ways of attaching their limit switches so they don't look like such an add-on.

Dave
drmico60

Re: Power Feed limit switch and stops

Post by drmico60 »

I have only a small hobby mill (Seig X1) but I have fitted power feed and limit switches which are operated by a bar across the front of the table, see:
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/mill-power-feed.html
It might spark some ideas.
Mike
whateg0

Re: Power Feed limit switch and stops

Post by whateg0 »

Mike, that's a slick looking setup. Kind of what I'm thinking will work for me, but at the opposite end. I'm going to have to flip the switch around, but that's fine. I wish I would have done this on my old mill. I tossed the idea around for much of the time it was in the shop, but never got a "round tuit".

Dave