Moore Precision Tools Jig Borer

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

chrisaukcam

Moore Precision Tools Jig Borer

Post by chrisaukcam »

I realize that this is a Milling machine forum, but at the time I bought this, I thought I was buying a vertical mill. And to be fair, the guy selling it was liquidating his grandfathers stuff. So he didn't know what it was either. I am a hobbyist and just wanted something for small projects. I am thinking at this time that I may just fix it up and see if I can sell it and at least get my money back out of it. But I may end up keeping it as I doubt that anyone would want one this old.

So here are my questions.

1. Tool Holder: I believe that this a Moore Precision Tools Borer model 1 from doing searches online. There does not seem to be a serial number on it. I see some tool holders online on Ebay. Did they make any changes to the tool holder over the years or will anyone of these work OK?

2. Triple Phase: I did some searches for a triple phase converter and there are a lot of them out there. I have 220 in my workshop, any recommendations on a triple phase converter?

I have attached images of it to this post, first time doing this hopefully it works.
Attachments
IMG_20200426_153153162.jpg
IMG_20200426_153239095.jpg
earlgo

Re: Moore Precision Tools Jig Borer

Post by earlgo »

I tried to find out something about a Producto Mill and finally traced it to Moore Tool Co. I first wrote to Sales@mooretool.com thru their website.
There was a response from Michael Dick MDick@mooretool.com.
"Sorry nothing available very old likely 1930's Producto bought the Moore Tool Company 1994 and in a few years they
had moved over here to this factory, unfortunately all the old stuff was lost never archived."

Perhaps you will have better luck if you inquire from them direct. Or not... Good luck.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Yes, that is a Moore #1 Jig Borer.

More shank tooling is all the same and interchangeable through all Moore Jig Borers.

It will operate on either a Static or Rotary Phase Converter as long as the horsepower is correct.

It can do light milling, but it is not really made for that. It is a fine little machine for accurately locating holes, drilling, and boring. The spindle only runs clockwise and is a two speed motor.

(My name is Glenn and I have a slight Moore addiction)
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

It will be the most accurate drill press you will ever own.

If you can find a copy of "precision hole location", you will get a better idea of how they were used.

You can drill, bore and ream holes very precisely on location and they will be round, straight and perpendicular to the surface as good as just about any machine could do in its day. I'm sure modern CNC can do better, but they were amazing machines and people still use them today.

Moore jig bores were so accurate that they built a machine on that platform that was a coordinate measuring machine.

Moore tool is near here in Bridgeport, and I know some guys who have worked there.

I actually live only a few miles from Wayne Moore's house, although I never got to meet him before he passed.

Steve