Tramming a mill drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mr Ron

Re: Tramming a mill drill

Post by Mr Ron »

Lewayne; That Kurt vise is a bit large for your mill.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, RSG. I appreciate that my comments may be helpful.

While the concept may be offensive to some--what I do is "talk down" to folks. Not to be rude, but I know what it's like to have a question and to be given an answer that is meaningless to me because details are omitted. By providing the boring details, folks with little or no experience should still be able to benefit by gaining a clear understanding and, with luck, be able to achieve success in their endeavor.

Aside from the period of time when I refined precious metals for my livelihood, I have always been willing to share the things I know. That's how we move forward in life. Besides, I have a strong need to "pay it forward", thanks to one caring man who made a huge difference in my life when I was a young man. He was proud to share what he knew, and even more proud when he witnessed the success he sought in passing on his knowledge.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Harold:
Seems to me you are "talking up" to people, not down, because you are providing those details that many would not understand.
You are assuming we will get it.
Most appreciated.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Russ. Very reassuring to know that folks benefit.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
elewayne

Post by elewayne »

Thanks for the further comments. I may have plenty of time starting next week the way things are going.
I have a chine hoist and a strap I can use to lift the head/column some. I think I have the right idea of getting the column straight. Having the head rotate just makes that a little or maybe a lot more complicated.I have plenty of shim material so we'll see how this goes. I think I can work it out. I just needed a little information before I got started.
I'm 71, I'm not going into the machine shop business, just playing around with some metal. I gotta do something to stay busy in my shop, it's in my back yard.
By the way I do know that vice is to big. I'd be willing to trade it for a slightly smaller one. I got a deal on it though.I only paid a couple hundred for it and the paint isn't even scratched. I ended up with a 10" rotary table as well. Also too big.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

elewayne wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm
By the way I do know that vice is to big. I'd be willing to trade it for a slightly smaller one. I got a deal on it though.I only paid a couple hundred for it and the paint isn't even scratched. I ended up with a 10" rotary table as well. Also too big.
I would like to have that vise, but it is also too big for my mill. Kurt used to have a 3" vise, but they don't make them anymore and used ones are hard to find.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi