Broken Hearted... My new to me 1942 Van Norman No.12 Spindle Ring and Pinion shot

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Broken Hearted... My new to me 1942 Van Norman No.12 Spindle Ring and Pinion shot

Post by spro »

I have a Van Norman sub head which hasn't been modified in any way. There is a stand off mount which bolts to a sort of "D" pattern. There are locating pins. Just trying to establish if the other information is correct and that it fits your No. 12.
Mine has miter gears instead of spiral bevel.
FULLMONTIE

Re: Broken Hearted... My new to me 1942 Van Norman No.12 Spindle Ring and Pinion shot

Post by FULLMONTIE »

Hello Spro, I'm taking a bit of a roadtrip in the morning tomorrow. I'll take some photos and measurements when I get home. Thanks, Montie
spro

Post by spro »

Maybe some photos of your month away.
spro

Post by spro »

I'm going to sell this head. It is too good to be modified in any way. I'll pass it on to another person who has direct use for it. Van Norman people who have the collets or did what I envisioned. It isn't happening and the real stuff needs go to where it was meant for, unabused, unmodified.
TomSto

Post by TomSto »

I may be late to the party on this one, but I believe you could make a set of normal bevel gears in the correct ratio and mounting dimensions. The spiral bevels gears will run quieter, but for a home shop straight tooth gears would be very serviceable. The method in Ivan Law’s gear book works well, and as long as you are making both gears they mesh very well. I have made several sets of bevel gears by this method.