Bridgeport feed motor - help

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

amron

Bridgeport feed motor - help

Post by amron »

Hi
At my work I have a Bridgeport milling machine. the problem that I'm facing with it is that the table feed motor doesn't work. when I'm move the toggle switch to engage the movement, I hear the contactor kicking in and I've measured (with a multimeter) that there is supply voltage to the motor's control board, but that's it. there is no motor operation, regardless of the speed control potentiometer's position or pushing the rapid movement pushbutton. I've seen that on the control board there is a "reset" red button, but pushing it didn't help. I've seen that there are several wires leading from the control board to the motor, so I would like to ask, if any of you, members of the forum, have the electrical diagram of the motor and the control board, so that I'll be able to try and repair it or at least will be able to configure where the problem is.
John Evans

Re: Bridgeport feed motor - help

Post by John Evans »

You need to specify WHO made the power feed unit ! Genuine BP -Servo-or one of the generic imports that are similar to a Servo.
www.chaski.com
amron

Post by amron »

My fault, sorry. the feed motor is genuine BP. I can't tell which model it is. it's the one with the movement direction selector lever on top of it, like the one in the attached pic.
img91.gif
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Well that could be either a 6-F or 8-F BP power feed. the one on my 1984 BP has a toggle switch and pilot light on that lower cover.I have a 1986 pub. date BP manual and parts brake down and it says my style PF is the 6-F . The manual has a wiring schematic for the power feed in it. You can down load a PDF for free from several sources H&W -Bridgeport themselves and others . You can contact Jon at H&W by email or phone for parts and repair info.
www.chaski.com
amron

Post by amron »

Thanx for the reply. forgive my ignorance - who/what is H&w and how can find them?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

www.chaski.com