Rockwell horizontal pulley/oil cup requests

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jdanke

Rockwell horizontal pulley/oil cup requests

Post by jdanke »

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Rockwell Horizontal milling machine back in service. It's missing a couple of pieces and I hope I can get some measurements.

First up is the missing oil cup for the spindle. The real issue is that I want to make sure I have the right oil level for the spindle bearings. For those with original oil cups, how tall is the cup and where is the top relative to the spindle? Gits has some threaded cups that are 35.7mm (roughly 1-7/16"), 40.5mm (1-9/16"), and 52.4 mm (~2") tall. I could also use a street elbow (what I used to flush it), but still need the height.

Next is the missing motor pulley. I "reverse engineered" the step sizes using the published RPMs and the countershaft pulley sizes, and also tried to get the belt length to be the same for each position. I came up with a pretty good match, shown below. For those of you with a horizontal, do these seem right to you? How do they compare with the stock motor pulley?

Code: Select all

RPM   Motor Pulley  
 374   2-3/8"
 855   4-1/4""
1522   5-5/8"
1855   6-0/0"
2345   6-1/2"

Thanks for your help!

Joel

P.S. I posted over at the yahoo group last week but didn't yet get the response I hoped for.
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Re: Rockwell horizontal pulley/oil cup requests

Post by Lazz »

This is the closest oiler I could find to replace the original on mine..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BM ... UTF8&psc=1

WOW checking the pulley sizes isnt fun...And I now know why I rarely change the belt position... I dont have room where the mill is...
A quick check with a large caliper and a scale says
2 5/8
3 1/4
5 1/8 that is with the belt in the way...5 5/8 - 1/4 twice for the belt..
5 3/4
6 1/8

This is the kinda thing I will wake up in the middle of the night with different ideas how to measure...
jdanke

Re: Rockwell horizontal pulley/oil cup requests

Post by jdanke »

Thanks a million! That's really helpful.

I just checked the Amazon link - Free Delivery Nov 3 - Dec 9! But that's a good lead.

Joel