Robust

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Russ Hanscom

Robust

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Nice having a robust mill, a Gorton 1-22.

This is a Janney coupler, the first successful automatic coupler. Drilling out 1 1/4" dia rivets so the shank can be replaced.

Over 5" of metal to go through and as the quill travel is 4", and it takes extra head room to change bits, a fair amount of up and down for the knee is needed. The feed that died moves the knee through a 3:1 ratio drive; it was over 15 years old.

The 12" riser helps a lot too.
DSC01212.JPG
earlgo

Re: Robust

Post by earlgo »

Have you considered taking up model trains as a hobby? :lol:
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I have, I model in NG 1:1 scale! I have some 1/8 scale castings but rarely get to them.
spro

Post by spro »

My comment is towards the massive weight and the work to drill out those rivets. It didn't help that the power feed had blown out. Remarkable work required and "Robust" is certainly the word. Sometimes I use it as comparisons to like things but this scale of robust is a different level. Neat dedication.