titan machinery milling machine defect

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: titan machinery milling machine defect

Post by spro »

There must be a reason for the previous post. It may be to generate replies.
This was a "hack job" totally unworthy to be sold to unsuspecting customer. It has become less than it was. I would try to return it and compensated for the trouble. Many points have been noted:
There is no accurate register of center. That central boss/spud must be total smooth and close fit. The clamping surfaces are ground to where they are unreliable. This is a smaller mill and this stuff adds up to a terrible example of a smaller precise milling machine.
I've some experience with head adapters and mounting heads but never seen anything as crude. Consider the reason for tilting the head. It should be at the same plane as it was. It won't be and I haven't seen this butchery before.
I think somebody already bought it and returned it. Then, it wasn't inspected and resold.
There is something else and it is a Big Thing; Our new member is going to wonder why we would accept this level when he has done everything to show it is inadequate. I agree with him and other members that this hacking is unacceptable. It is magnified by the the machine size.
Magicniner

Post by Magicniner »

spro wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:53 pm The clamping surfaces are ground to where they are unreliable.
The clamping surfaces are NOT the ring around the bolt groove, this area has been relieved such that it does not become a clamping surface in order to allow the head to correctly pull down onto the large flat area of the Z axis slide.
spro

Post by spro »

If so, it is abnormal. The opening into which the tee bolts fit are clearly between two rings. These rings and the "spud/ boss " location are important to the head. It must receive the same surface to be clamped correctly. If someone goes to where it clamps directly onto the Z surface, I see the pics and the index ring must be read. That means the head flange never touched the Z face.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

zolaj, try Bluing the head and reinstall it. If the blue transfers to the angle ground surface send it back. If the blue transfers to a nice surface then Magicniner is right and you can paint the surface red to hide the ugliness, just kidding. There would not be enough clearance for the paint.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX