want a milling machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Lewayne

Re: want a milling machine

Post by Lewayne »

I know. If the machine is decent the price is good. And it looks pretty clean and everything seems to be in good working order. It a great size for my shop.I read the artical you found but can't fine much else at all. I just don't know if a Taiwan clone, with no backup at all, is a crazy purchase, but I think i could sell it without loss if I cleaned it all up, anyway.And I want the extra for tooling as you say.
jcfx

Post by jcfx »

I would not let support get in your way, even though I said I wasn't crazy about refurbing old iron, a deal is a deal
so for example if a good condition Deckle mill happened my way for an insanely good price ....
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

Well, in the end I passed on the clone.
1. I'm not ready in my shop to have something that would be an immovable object wherever I dropped it.
2. Its really too big anyway. I don't need that much size or weight for what I'm doing.
3. It a machine that, like nobody has even heard of. There is nothing about it anywhere.
4. even rebuilding it would be over my head because of the size.
So still looking for something smaller and lighter.
spro

Post by spro »

So the one was a floor mill and heavy. These others are highly regarded. Vertex, and many others with the turret, knee, swiveling adjusted head. Simple belt drive and don't weigh 1000 lbs.
Low Flyer

Post by Low Flyer »

Check here, https://industryrecycles.com/ I bought my brand new 9x49 MSC knee mill from there for $2,930. It had been a trade show model that was never used. They have seem to only have a Rong FU geared head right now. But their inventory is always changing.

Gil
Low Flyer

Post by Low Flyer »

I apologize folks. I didn't realize that this thread was a year old. I guess some sections of this forum do not get frequent postings. I'm relatively new here and I'll try to be cognizant of the recency of what I'm reading.

Gil
elewayne

Post by elewayne »

Done that myself