Offshore turret riser for Bridgeport

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Mark 2

Offshore turret riser for Bridgeport

Post by Mark 2 »

I'm wanting a turret riser for my '72 Bridgeport and am wondering if a less expensive import will fit the Bridgeport. Specifically I'm seeing anew Acer on Ebay for $275 shipped. Does anyone know if it will fit. The company selling it is vague on what should be a simple answer.
SteveM

Re: Offshore turret riser for Bridgeport

Post by SteveM »

Look for a used one on craigslist or ebay (with a location limitation). That may be your best bet to get one that actually fits.

I see them periodically for cheap (but then, I'm here and you're there, so your mileage may differ).

Steve
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Maybe!! From personal experience one from a Webb will not with out some lathe work ,ditto a BP one won't work on a Sharp.
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

Since you want something to fit what you already have then pulling the motor, head and then the ram and then removing the top turret cap on the column would get you access for some accurate measurements for the bolt pitch, size, cap diameter and column hole diameter. Without those there's no real way for any supplier of those risers to say if it will or won't fit. Yeah it's going to take an hr or two to re/re everything, but I don't see where you have much choice. If you've never done it before then reach through whatever access opening is in either the rear or side of the column and hand support the internal spider the turret's bolts tighten to while your removing the last bolt.
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

Pete,

Yeah that's the best solution. I've done it all before when moving the machine but of course I didn't take dimensions. I was hoping that this issue was common enough that there would be more folks on the board that could say yay or nay definitively. The bolt hole dimensions are fairly easy but the bore on the BP for the turret is as important and more difficult to establish without removal and I'd rather not do that until I had a riser in hand to put it in place.

Thanks for the input, Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah I'd sort of thought about having to duplicate the work twice while I was typing that out. It sucks but I'm not sure just how much even Bridgeport themselves made dimensional changes to the design over the years. Measuring is probably the only sure way. I have no immediate plans for adding a riser to my BP clone but do have to move mine shortly. Think I'll grab those numbers myself while I'm at it just in case. I've seen a couple of threads on the PM forums asking the same question you have, but even there no one could provide a 100% yes / no what is a direct fit between after market risers for other machines and OEM Bridgeport parts.
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

Pete,

This is good information, not the answer that I would have wanted but it'll save me time trying to get an answer that isn't readily available. I'm simply going to have to pull the darn thing apart to measure it. It's going to be busy for a while so it'll have to wait.

Thanks! Dave
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Just throwing thus in as a point of reference...

I used this one in the 4” model.

https://www.wttool.com/index/page/categ ... _id/16699/

My mill is a Birmingham built in 1996 with a Taiwan head and China base.
Fit is perfect, tram is smooth. 100% satisfied.
I worked in a shop that had a Birmingham Taiwan head on a genuine BP base.
I’m 99% sure this would fit a ‘72 BP.

Did the swap in one afternoon with my HF foldable engine hoist.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

Well, now you've got my interest! Thanks
chet86

Post by chet86 »

I have a Bridgeport 6" riser for $200.00 plus shipping.
Mark 2

Post by Mark 2 »

Did the riser come off a Bridgeport? Do you have bolts for it? What is the cost of shipping to 98292?

Thanks, Dave
chet86

Post by chet86 »

Yes it came off a BP Shipping cost ????