Getting Older.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

armscor 1

Getting Older.

Post by armscor 1 »

Not as strong as I used to be. Cranking the handle to lift head on my roundhead mill was a chore. Not anymore.
Attachments
DSCN0079.JPG
NP317

Re: Getting Older.

Post by NP317 »

Smart.
~RN
spro

Post by spro »

I have an older round tube head type column mill. Your design is right, beyond the ease of raising the head. The original design required alternately pulling and pushing on the crank handle with left hand. The head section is heavy and it would still shift around and require re location. So much better to drive elevation from a central point, closer to the axis.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I like it too; my big old drill press is similar. The big fixed crank that lifts the table swings out behind and to make it usable, the machine has to stand forward of the wall.
So aside from the considerable effort, it takes up space.
I'll be hunting around for some sprockets + chain now.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I found it hard to raise my drill press table, so I rigged up a counterweight system with a window sash weight inside the column connected to the table with aircraft wire rope running over a sheave; works fine. I find in my old age, more ways to lessen the effort needed to perform once easy tasks.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Downwindtracker2

Post by Downwindtracker2 »

I'm lazier than you,I'm looking at mounting a motor for my square column mill/drill. I had a surplus gearmotor but when I tested it ,it barely moved, then tripped. It should have done about 600 rpm. I'll plan on using the gear part and a reversible 1/4 hp. I figured about 30 or 40 rpm should do it.
A man of foolish pursuits, '91 BusyBee DF1224g lathe,'01 Advance RF-45 mill/drill,'68 Delta Toolmaker surface grinder,Miller250 mig,'83 8" Baldor grinder, plus sawdustmakers
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Old people should lift weights. That is the horrible truth.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 pm Old people should lift weights. That is the horrible truth.
Small weights......
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Start with a small can of prune juice.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:40 pm Start with a small can of prune juice.
No thanks. Can't run.
When I work out with some sort a drink....I pick pumpin' aluminum containers of barley-pop, thank-you! (AKA, group tightener)
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:49 pmOld people should lift weights. That is the horrible truth.
For me, the mere act of getting out of bed is weight-lifting. :D

More to the point, old people are better served with a reasonable amount of aerobic exercise. Pumping iron builds muscle fiber but does little for one's cardiopulmonary health. The latter is helped by at least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three to five times per week. For me, that entails about a mile of walking.
Mr Ron wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:02 pmI find in my old age, more ways to lessen the effort needed to perform once easy tasks.
Following a spinal injury in the early 1980s, I adopted the "brains, not brawn" approach to handling heavy objects. Although I can still put some muscle into it, I no longer act like a human forklift. 8)
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Cardiovascular health is fine, but it won't help you pick up your rotary table.