Tightening a vise

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Inspector

Re: Tightening a vise

Post by Inspector »

Thanks SteveM for the link. I bookmarked it.

As for over tightening. I have seen many operator using air impact guns to tighten and loosen kurt vices to save time. The management gave them to the operators. The bearings in the vices had to be replaced every year or two. Twits and barbarians.

Pete
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

One of my many pet peeves involves overtightening things.
Second that. I had a technician that put all his might on each screw. We are talking about electronic equipment in a lab environment where prototypes were never going to be sold anyway and we constantly had to open things up to change things.
I told him: we are not sending this stuff to space, relax. A good man but had this quirk.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

tornitore45 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:15 am When I started this hobby I read lots of books. I know my machines that I could tear them down and reassemble them blindfolded. I have added some very useful modifications. I have nobody to mentor me. I have learned the hard way what is the wrong way to approach every single operation. There are so many things the books do not tell. There is a lot to be done by feel.
For example milling a thin part on edge do not keep the end mill axis on center and cut across, the part will vibrate and sing, move off axis to just cover the part with the end mill tip, that way most of the force is pushing the long axes of the part.
How many time something went wrong minutes before you thought "This is not really a good way of doing this".
That is a trick that I discovered on my own. I have a pretty good grasp of engineering dynamics.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi