anyone with a Ebay DRO have a few questions?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

RodMI

Post by RodMI »

Note able to find really good information on the models from china. What DRO is the best Digital or the LCD for a unheated cold garage and in general? Looking at photos it seems like the Digital models have more advanced functions is that correct? Looking for one with the best setup any suggestions ideas?
jwmelvin

Re: anyone with a Ebay DRO have a few questions?

Post by jwmelvin »

I bought a 3-axis, HS800-3, and it’s been great so far. It was about as cheap as I could find, and I was curious how that would work out. My garage is not heated and that hasn’t been an issue yet.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Temperature fluctuations should affect only accuracy.

Unless you have an LCD readout...which can freeze and crack
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

As Bill says, an actual LCD may be susceptible to freezing and cracking, but anything you are likely to find is probably LED digits or a LED-based screen these days. I've been running a Sino SDS6 on my lathe for several years without issue, it's been down to freezing a few times and spent months at 100+ temps. Haven't had any complaints.
RodMI

Post by RodMI »

On the HS800-3 are the only advanced functions available the quick keys on the front panel? is SDM and ABS/INC available??
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I have a YH SINO LCD display, light years ahead of the led displays, no problems here in the Tropics.
jwmelvin

Post by jwmelvin »

RodMI wrote:On the HS800-3 are the only advanced functions available the quick keys on the front panel? is SDM and ABS/INC available??
There’s a button for abs/inc, one for SDM, and one that opens a menu for the various features. They are the F buttons, and change depending on context.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have a "DROPRO" DRO and very happy with it. It uses magnetic scales and is more expensive than LCD displays. The temperature in my shop rarely gets below 32°F and is air conditioned in summer weather.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Jon W

Post by Jon W »

I too have a home-assembled DROPRO with Shane scales. I have not used in below freezing temps, but logged plenty of use in the low 50s F without any troubles. The display/interface of a DROPRO is whatever Android tablet or phone you choose to use - so I would think that most would not have any trouble operating in outdoor temps, and you can store the tablet/phone inside where it’s warm until needed.
Jon W
Somewhere North of Boston
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I have a "DROPRO" DRO and very happy with it. It uses magnetic scales and is more expensive than LCD displays. The temperature in my shop rarely gets below 32°F and is air conditioned in summer weather.
While the DROPRO is not an EBay per say: I do recommend it. I have had mine over ten years. What DROPRO offers is support when things go wrong. I have had two instances, which where due to operator screw-ups, where the scales had to be replaced. Both times they were received in the mail within 7 days.

It also has excellent manuals and capabilities that make I have really learned to depend on.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Forgive me for ignorance because I've never had a DRO (yet).

Is there a possibility to connect the feed motor cutout circuit so it will be stopped at a set point by the DRO?
Which (cheap) models can do that?

My mill has mechanical / electric buttons that are deactivated by adjustable stops, but accuracy is almost impossible. Even getting within a mm would be a chore. It's relay controlled so current is minimal.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would do it with an optical trigger that gives you fine adjustment.

Use the trigger to drop the relay and the dro to set the point location

Otherwise you looking at serious delving into the dro guts..
This way you are not tied to a specific dro unit forever
Too many things going on to bother listing them.