Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: 1936 South Bend Model 415-YC lathe

Post by Steggy »

Andy R wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:03 pmAs far as I could figure, including shipping, the lathe cost $116.27.

$116.27 will barely buy you a tank of gas these days. My, how far this country has fallen.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Andy R

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by Andy R »

BDD,

That $116.27 was more than a week's wages for the average working man.

Regarding gasoline prices, my Grandfather had a Standard Oil gas station during the depths of the depression.
Gasoline was 9 cents per gallon. I learned that when complaining about 55 cent gasoline during the Arab oil embargo after paying 21 cents a few months before.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Andy R wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:06 amThat $116.27 was more than a week's wages for the average working man.

My first job I had after getting out of the Navy paid $120 a week, in the late 1960s. So I know what that could purchase.
Regarding gasoline prices, my Grandfather had a Standard Oil gas station during the depths of the depression.
Gasoline was 9 cents per gallon. I learned that when complaining about 55 cent gasoline during the Arab oil embargo after paying 21 cents a few months before.

When I was in high school, a buck’s worth of gas got you around all week.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
JackF

Post by JackF »

In the late 50s in the Bay Area during the gas wars gas dropped down to 19c a gallon. And yes, $1 could get you around all week. :shock: :D

Jack
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

Out of curiosity I looked up on Google Earth to see if my lathe's selling dealer, A. C. Colby Machinery Company, was still in business (not likely after 82 years!). The address 183 Center St., New York City, is now occupied by a Chinese bank.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Back around 1958, I was returning on US 1 to the navy base in Yorktown, Virginia, where I taught Degaussing, Ranging, and Deperming.

In Dover, Delaware, at a gas station attached to a refinery the price of regular was $0.19 cents per gallon; I filled up my 1956 Studebaker!

The price at the base was $0.36, and outside was ~ $0.40!

Today, if there is a 5 cent difference at $5.00+ per gallon, driver are eager to fill up, but it is only a ONE Percent change, not 100%+ as it was back then.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Giggle ..the only refinery in Delaware (and still the only one) was at that time a Getty Oil.. in Delaware city..on US Route 13...which at the time was the only way to get to the Chesapeake Bay bridge tunnel at the southern end of the DelMarVa peninsula and an easier way to get to where you were going before I-95 opened and a common shortcut from US1.

The guy that owned it used to advertise "the freshest gas in the state".

No . He did not have a pipeline from the refinery to his station, but his transportation costs were the lowest in the state.

The station is still there as is the refinery which specializes in heavy feedstock much of which comes in by railcar from the Midwest and Canada - .but it no longer belongs to Getty Oil.

The refinery has had its ups and downs...was totally closed for about 18 months.

Yes...I can see the stack at the refinery from the roof of my house.

Don't smell it as much as we used to when was a kid.

If you remember the station from 1958, your memory is better than mine
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Khalid135

Post by Khalid135 »

Hello everyone.
I hope you are well.
This is my first post :D
So I want to share my first lathe.
It's called "J.Volman N-25".
I plan to repair, clean and paint it.
I find many problems in this and I will publish them later.
The biggest problem is that thread charts are missing and I've searched hundreds of sites and found nothing.
So please if someone sends me a photo of the thread table, it will be a big help for me.
{sorry for my grammatical error :roll: }
Attachments
055328.jpg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Try lathe.co.uk
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

JackF wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:47 am And yes, $1 could get you around all week. :shock: :D
That depended on your car.

My best friend in high school had an Olds Delta 88, 454, 4-barrel. Got single digit mileage.

Another classmate has a Beetle. Used one gallon for an entire week.

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:56 pm My best friend in high school had an Olds Delta 88, 454, 4-barrel. Got single digit mileage.
Heh! Susan and I purchased a new '86 GMC one ton 4 X 4 when we used to haul our boat to Lake Powell. It, too, was a 454. Seems it was up hill both directions and the 327 we had previously simply couldn't do justice to the long drive, routinely being pulled down to 20 mph on the numerous hills. The 454 eliminated that problem, and would pass pretty much everything but the gas stations.

We drove to California from Utah in '90 to attend a meet at the LALS track. By now we had a 24' travel trailer. Got a whopping 6 miles per gallon on that trip. It's the only time I can ever recall actually being able to watch the gas gauge drop as I drove.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Khalid135 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:30 am
It's called "J.Volman N-25".
A quick search on vintagemachinery.org "hints' that that name may refer to the motor.

There is nothing on lathe.co.UK.

Are there any patent numbers anywhere on the machine?
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"