Quest on Atlas/Craftsman 10 inch lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Don Smith

Quest on Atlas/Craftsman 10 inch lathe

Post by Don Smith »

I have an old Atlas 10 inch lathe that I am restoring. It did not have a cover over the speed change gears on the side of the headstock, I purchased a replacement cover off ebay but cannot see how it is mounted. It looks like it should mount to the end of the ways in the back but the motor mount bracket seems to be in the way, Does anyone out there have one of these lathes that I might talk into sending me a picture of the bracket mounting at the back of the lathe? Thanks Don
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don , I have a Craftsman 12 x36 that was made by Atlas . It has a swing away cover on the change gears . I'm assuming yours is not a quick change.
Don't know if they are the same , but I could take some pics of mine this afternoon and post them if you wish .
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

No it is not quick change gears and Yes I would love to see a picture of the rear side of your lathe Thanks Don
Corm

Post by Corm »

There are pictures of several Atlas lathes on this site - http://www.lathes.co.uk/

Corm
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

These site pictures seem to only show the front of the lathes. I need a picture of the rear to show how the bracket for the hinge for the gear cover is mounted. Thanks for your email Don
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don , just came in from the shop ,working on the bar stool racer . Getting it ready to paint . Took some pics of the craftsman to send to you .

The first pic of the lathe . Does it resemble yours ?

Cover assembly in place .

Shots of the attaching hardware to the flat ways . It clamps to the ways by 2 3/8 bolts to a plate drilled and tapped on the bottom . You can see the plate on the first pic .

A pic looking at it from another angle .

That all the supports the hinge assem . It is really just clamp assem. to the portion of the flat way on the back of the headstock . It closes on a detent when it swings shut .
I did a complete restoration in this puppy , tore it down to the last nut and bolt . It was a good learning experience and served me well , could hold a .001 on it . One good thing about belt drive lathes is that they are forgiving when you crash . Had a few of those starting out . Still use it every once in awhile , it's a keeper .
Hope this helps .
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi Coalminer. That is just like my lathe. The only different is that my unit seems to have a angle iron bracket mounted on the underside of the ways at the headstock. Its end extends about a half inch beyond the back of the rear way. It seems to hold the gear change wishbone. It prevents the bracket to be mounted like your lathe has. I guess I will have to remove it and check to see if it was homemade and might need modification. Thanks for the pictures. They are a great help Don
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don , the banjoe that holds the gears are prone to crack . Possibly the last owner made one of sorts . Mine was when I got it , it had been braised . It finally gave up the ghost and I bought one off E-Bay . back to new again .
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Thanks for the information I will check on it and let you know what I find when its apart. Don
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

I tried to install the guard bracket onto my 10 inch lathe. I got the bracket/hinge mounted like your pictures. When I tried to install the cover I see that the hinge has to be mounted almost three inches higher to have the cover properly cover the gears. My cover is 10F-28 with a hinge as 9-95A. These are the nimbers listed in the copy of the parts manual I have. I do see a difference in the bracket/hinge as pictured in the manual. It shows the hinge with a 90 degree mounting clamp. My hinge is streight without the 90 Degree. Now I am confused. Don
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

I finally figured out how to mount the hinge bracket. Had the bottom plate on backwards. However when the cover is installed on the hinge it is too low and will not clear gear on the spindle. It seems to be about one inch too low. I measured the center of the chuck to the ways and found it to be around 6.5 inches. Sounds like I have a 12 inch lathe rather than a 10 inch. The cover I purchased is a 10F-28 which seems to be for a 10 inch. Is there another cover for the 12 inch lathe? The hinge is a 9-95A. Might you check the numbers on the inside of your cover on the 12 inch lathe? Thanks Don
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don , my cover is part #L5-28A , it attaches to bracket #L5-95 w/ L5-96A clamp . The bracket assem . is on the same page as the quick change box .There is a Yahoo group called atlas_craftsman metal working machines that has file of a lot of the Craftsman lathes . The parts list is there that I used .Good to join up , there are gurus on there that can tell you just about everything . I learned a bunch .