Quest on Atlas/Craftsman 10 inch lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If you put the model number into:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdi ... dex.action

You can get a parts diagram and then you'll be able to see the relationship of the parts.

Steve
Don Smith

Post by Don Smith »

Hi Steve Cannot find the model number on my lathe.

Coal Miner It looks like the part numbers you gave are the correct ones for my lathe. I guess I ordered the wrong ones. Thanks for the information.

For all. Anybody have the correct wiring for the motor and reversing switch? I have a 113.12150, One hp motor with rotary reverse switch.. I see that there are a number of connections to it and I must reverse the red wire and black wires but unsure if either or both are also connected to the line Thanks Don
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don , the model # should be on the ways on the right side either stamped on top or the side . Also the s/n should be there also . Are your ways 3/8" or 1/2" ? The latter being a newer style . The parts sears diagram for mine was so bad you really could not tell anything, they still list some parts for it . Get on the yahoo group for Craftsman lathes . They will answer all your questions much better than I can . A wealth of info . They will have info on just about anything to do with these lathes , including wiring up the reversing switch . Altho mine came with a reversing switch I did not use it because of the threaded mount on the chuck . Would not want it to spin off on the floor or Me . 1 hp is pretty hefty for this lathe , I run a 1/3 hp w/ no probs.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

coal miner wrote:Don , the model # should be on the ways on the right side either stamped on top or the side .
If it's a Craftsman, then the model number will be on a plate on the OTHER side of the bed from where you stand to operate it.

Steve
wishingstar

manuals

Post by wishingstar »

This site has manuals for a lot of machines including some craftsman
ozarkwooder.com
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

My S/N is on top of the ways on the rt. side S/N #1995S . My model No. is on the back as SteveM stated . CRS ! I do not know how old my lathe is , but it does have roller bearings and not babbit bearings. When I changed the bearings they were etched with the date of 1939 . Also my lathe is a 24" , not 36" , did some measuring on bed length and it has the 42" bed not the 54" bed . Could machine a 24" long piece w/ a steady rest which I do not have . I don't know how they measure the bed length , It might even be a 20" . It is a Mod# 101.07403 .The parts book I have seys they made an 18",20",24", and 36" bed length . It has 3/8" thick ways , the later ones I found out had 1/2" thick ways . Purchased for 124$ sitting on pallet , all dirty and some rust. Bought new bearings and a coupe of gears . Reassembled and painted . Its been a perfect learner , if not pushed hard . When I got my Jet 14"-40" , It was like going from a Model A to Cadillac , Can't imagine what a Monach are the like would feel like ! I still have it and use it for some projects .
Brentdekeyser

Re: Quest on Atlas/Craftsman 10 inch lathe

Post by Brentdekeyser »

Don,

Did you ever get this figured out? I have the same motor and switch that needs to be wired.
Harold_V

Re: Quest on Atlas/Craftsman 10 inch lathe

Post by Harold_V »

Don hasn't made a showing on the board for 13 years, so it's highly unlikely that you'll get a response from him.
Welcome to the board.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.